Remedies for a Kitten With Diarrhea

Category Cats
Consulting with your veterinarian is advisable when you have concerns about your pet's health. This is a guide about remedies for a kitten with diarrhea.

I am looking for a remedy for 2 week old kittens with diarrhea.

Clouie from Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

Two week old kittens should still be nursing exclusively as they are not really old enough to be eating regular cat food. If they are eating anything other than their mother's milk, this should be stopped.

If they are only nursing, then maybe the problem is that the mother may be eating something that is affecting her milk, like cows milk, for example.

I just adopted two kittens. I am feeding them IAMs kitten food and a little goat's milk and plenty of fresh water. Both have developed diarrhea. Is there a natural remedy for this?

Michele from Texas

Answers:

Kittens With Diarrhea

The goats milk is prob the culprit (06/20/2007)

By tupelo granmom.

Kittens With Diarrhea

Contrary to popular belief cats are lactose intolerant. I would highly recommend giving them kitten formula sold in the store instead of the goats milk. It will probably be much gentler on their stomachs.

Once they are old enough to be completely weaned off of the milk do so. Diarrhea can be a common problem though. Have them checked out at the vet to be sure it's not an underlying health issue and that they are not getting dehydrated. A dehydrated cat does not always know they need to drink and they may not drink enough. Dehydration from diarrhea can kill a kitten faster than you think. Good luck! (06/20/2007)

By michellejones3

Kittens With Diarrhea

My dog once had the worst diarrhea imaginable. We spent 70 bucks to take her to the emergency vet.The vet told us to give her yogurt. I bought about a quart of organic yogurt and she ate it all and it solved the problem. this works for humans too. we think she might have eaten or licked something off of my husband's work boots, he is a butcher. Anyway, it's worth a try. I dont know if cats being lactose intolerant matters, dogs probably are too. Good luck (06/20/2007)

By rubyred777

Kittens With Diarrhea

I have used baby rice cereal and one of those small cans of cat food, and mixed in a little amount of that kitten milk. It works great. My kitten was only 5 days old when I found her and now she is a healthy 6 year old cat. I hope this works for you as it did for me. (06/22/2007)

By Robin

Kittens With Diarrhea

KMR kitten food makes a second stage mix, get some of that and follow the instructions. Also, get them off of Iams it is junk, full of fillers like corn which is not great. If you wish to continue feeding I suggest Felidae of Natures Variety from the pet store, or even chicken soup for the cat lovers soul all of which are about the same price as Iams junk. (06/26/2007)

By flip195

Kittens With Diarrhea

They may be allergic to goat's milk, or whatever you are feeding them. Discontinue the goat's milk, and if the diarrhea continues, change their diet. (06/26/2007)

By Anita

Kittens With Diarrhea

The facts are that the underlying etiologies for this can be varied and even multi-factorial. Being a veterinarian myself and having stumbled onto this site, I guess you might expect the following response from me. Have your appropriately trained health care professional examine, diagnose, and treat your pet-that would be a veterinarian- not some ill informed, maybe well-intentioned web-surfer! (04/18/2008)

By Kermit

Kittens With Diarrhea

This absolutely worked for my kitten who had severe diarrhea and almost died. After all the tests at the vet were negative, I was told to feed her only Friskies Ocean Whitefish Dinner. I did and it worked. It actually saved her life. Please do try this, you have nothing to lose, except maybe your kitten! Luvmykats (09/22/2008)

By Luvmykats

Kittens With Diarrhea

I too was told 6 years ago to give my kitten with diarrhea kaopectate. But-Kaopectate's formula has changed and it now has salicylates that are harmful to cats. (11/13/2008)