Remedies for a Kitten With Diarrhea

Category Cats
Consulting with your veterinarian is advisable when you have concerns about your pet's health. This is a guide about remedies for a kitten with diarrhea.

I am looking for a remedy for 2 week old kittens with diarrhea.

Clouie from Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

Two week old kittens should still be nursing exclusively as they are not really old enough to be eating regular cat food. If they are eating anything other than their mother's milk, this should be stopped.

If they are only nursing, then maybe the problem is that the mother may be eating something that is affecting her milk, like cows milk, for example.

I adopted a 4 month old kitten from a rescue in August. She started to have diarrhea after eating soft caned food, so we bought her a better canned brand for her, but she still had it. She has had chronic diarrhea since and we've been trying different canned foods for her, but she still has it.

We had to keep checking her bottom after each time she used her litter cuz she had some poop on her fur near her butthole (sorry). This started about a week or so ago with checking her, and she is not a happy camper when we do this. This morning we found poop (diarrhea) in the tub. What can we do? She loves the canned food and we mix her hard food in. Should we stop the canned all together?

Answers

Your little fur child needs to be seen by the vet! ASAP!

She could have parasites or food allergies or any number of things that only a vet can diagnose!

The rescue maybe able to give you a vet that will look at her for a reduced fee since she was newly adopted in August. It is also time to get her in to a vet so she has a health start with any vaccine etc (after the poopy issues stop of course!)

Please get her checked out ASAP!! Poor little thing could be getting dehydrated which is causing other issues.

PRAYERS FOR HER AND YOU!!! Please post back with a status update!!!

You dont want the cat to get dehydrated. Take her to the vet.

Thank you for your concern. She has been to her vet for her rabies and a check up. They weren't too concerned at the time because it wasn't "watery". Her stools were and are soft. I just found out that her foster mom gave her grain free hard food only. I will be switching over to that for her, hoping that is the problem. I spoke to the vet and they agreed. They also said if the stool continue to be soft to bring in a stool sample.

To add.... she is drinking water all the time and gaining weight. The bowel movements are soft, not firm and it may be due to not giving her grain free hard food as I found out that is what she was on before.

Not told if she had an allergy or not, but apparently all the foster cats in that home ate grain free foods. I will be switching her over to that asap.

Prayers will continue. Kitties are finicky creatures and have sensitive little tummies, so hopefully this will resolve everything!! Keep me up to date!! Take care!!

I think switching back to her dry food is a great idea. Coming through the foster system can be really stressful for kittens that age. Another product you can try is Purina Fortiflora. Basically it is probiotics for kittens. Breeders swear by it and I have used it many times. It always works.

I just adopted two kittens. I am feeding them IAMs kitten food and a little goat's milk and plenty of fresh water. Both have developed diarrhea. Is there a natural remedy for this?

Michele from Texas

Answers:

Kittens With Diarrhea

The goats milk is prob the culprit (06/20/2007)

By tupelo granmom.

Kittens With Diarrhea

Contrary to popular belief cats are lactose intolerant. I would highly recommend giving them kitten formula sold in the store instead of the goats milk. It will probably be much gentler on their stomachs.

Once they are old enough to be completely weaned off of the milk do so. Diarrhea can be a common problem though. Have them checked out at the vet to be sure it's not an underlying health issue and that they are not getting dehydrated. A dehydrated cat does not always know they need to drink and they may not drink enough. Dehydration from diarrhea can kill a kitten faster than you think. Good luck! (06/20/2007)

By Michelle

Kittens With Diarrhea

My dog once had the worst diarrhea imaginable. We spent 70 bucks to take her to the emergency vet.The vet told us to give her yogurt. I bought about a quart of organic yogurt and she ate it all and it solved the problem. this works for humans too. we think she might have eaten or licked something off of my husband's work boots, he is a butcher. Anyway, it's worth a try. I dont know if cats being lactose intolerant matters, dogs probably are too. Good luck (06/20/2007)

By jacki

Kittens With Diarrhea

I have used baby rice cereal and one of those small cans of cat food, and mixed in a little amount of that kitten milk. It works great. My kitten was only 5 days old when I found her and now she is a healthy 6 year old cat. I hope this works for you as it did for me. (06/22/2007)

By Robin

Kittens With Diarrhea

KMR kitten food makes a second stage mix, get some of that and follow the instructions. Also, get them off of Iams it is junk, full of fillers like corn which is not great. If you wish to continue feeding I suggest Felidae of Natures Variety from the pet store, or even chicken soup for the cat lovers soul all of which are about the same price as Iams junk. (06/26/2007)

By Gill H

Kittens With Diarrhea

They may be allergic to goat's milk, or whatever you are feeding them. Discontinue the goat's milk, and if the diarrhea continues, change their diet. (06/26/2007)

By Anita

Kittens With Diarrhea

The facts are that the underlying etiologies for this can be varied and even multi-factorial. Being a veterinarian myself and having stumbled onto this site, I guess you might expect the following response from me. Have your appropriately trained health care professional examine, diagnose, and treat your pet-that would be a veterinarian- not some ill informed, maybe well-intentioned web-surfer! (04/18/2008)

By Kermit

Kittens With Diarrhea

This absolutely worked for my kitten who had severe diarrhea and almost died. After all the tests at the vet were negative, I was told to feed her only Friskies Ocean Whitefish Dinner. I did and it worked. It actually saved her life. Please do try this, you have nothing to lose, except maybe your kitten! Luvmykats (09/22/2008)

By Angelina

Kittens With Diarrhea

I too was told 6 years ago to give my kitten with diarrhea kaopectate. But-Kaopectate's formula has changed and it now has salicylates that are harmful to cats. (11/13/2008)