Remedy for Thin and Weak Nails

As a recent avid nail biter, I have found a solution to help grow nails that is not only inexpensive but natural and healthy. My nails were really thin (I was able to bend them without pain) and would chip and peel.

Here is my solution: I use NutriNail 5 to 7 day nail growth treatment twice a day (morning and evening). Once dry, I apply a Vitamin E nail and cuticle oil and massage into cuticles and nail surfaces. To help with strength, I use a nail hardener once a day.

These products can be found at your local Wal-Mart: NutriNail is around $4.50, Sally Hansen Nail and Cuticle Oil is around $5.00, and Sally Hansen Nail Hardener is also around $5.00.

Also, having a healthy diet does help nails grow faster and stronger. This includes drinking plenty of water! A vitamin regimen can also be beneficial as taking Biotin (Vitamin B6). Other supplements that have been shown to be successful are Keratin and prenatal vitamins for hair and nail growth since both hair and nails are made of Keratin.

It is also beneficial to gently file your nails (in the same direction) once a week. It does the same thing that a trim to your hair does; it stimulates the nail causing it to grow a little faster.

If you frequently place your hands in water, such as doing the dishes, it is advised to wear gloves because the water can strip nails of natural oils that are essential for growth and strength. The same can be said regarding nail polish removers and dark color polishes. I would recommend a 180 or 200 grit nail file (fine), which can be found at Wal-Mart, dollar stores, and beauty supply stores.

One last tip, if you have short nails or short nail beds, DO NOT TRIM CUTICLES! This can be detrimental to the nail and cause weakness. It is best to gently push cuticles back. This not only keeps the nails healthy and free of bacteria but also helps in the growth process. Do not worry if nails are translucent as they grow as Keratin is naturally translucent. If your nails are white, it could signify that are dry. In this instance, use a hand lotion to soften hands and hydrate nails.

To wrap this up:

• Apply growth treatment (which contains green tea extract) 2x daily (not necessary)
  • Apply nail and cuticle oil once daily (preferably before bed)
  • Apply lotion
  • Avoid water, polish remover, and dark polishes
  • Gently file once a week (same direction)
  • Drink lots of water and maintain a healthy diet
  • Take vitamins (B6, Keratin, or prenatals, again this is not necessary)
  • DO NOT TRIM CUTICLES if you have short nails

Personally I think hand washing dishes without gloves has always strengthened my nails. (yes, I have a dishwasher and never use it) I am 78 years old have very strong nails that grow very quickly, and long....many people comment on my beautiful fingernails.

I do wear polish a good part of the time and use a nail sealer undercoat so the the colors don't stain my nails, so that when I want them "natural" they still look great. Gloves seem to "steam" the nails and soften them unnecessarily.

Anonymous

I have struggled with my hair for a long time now. I am quickly approaching my 30s and I have bad hair quality. Recently, I have also noticed that my hair has stopped growing as it used to. A few years ago I went to the salon on a monthly basis. Now, it takes me almost two months before I even need to cut my hair! I am desperate and I really need help right now. Hair is one of the most important parts of a woman and I don't want to give up on this one. I went to the doctors but they didn't found anything wrong with me. The exams I took showed that I am healthy and there's no reason for this to even happen to me. Please, I really need hair advice urgently!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Anonymous,
Have your doctor do a fasting blood test for hypothyroid. The same thing happened to me and 4-doctors told me I was fine. However, you KNOW when something is not right. Not a single one of them did a blood test. Out of complete frustration, I "googled" female doctor and hormones in my city and VOILA, the NEW doctor immediately suggested it sounded like hypothyroid and suggested a blood test, which confirmed her diagnosis.

I've been taking the medication ever since and my hair has returned to normal!

Been trimming and pulling the heavens out of my cuticles .... let's just end this with a thank you very much ... my ex girlfriend did nails for a living and never once had a good tip or was really helpful ... either way I should if googled it thanks for taking your time to help I am fighting serious disease and these tips might help improve my quality of life due to the fact my hands are in pain and nails obviously very weak and have candida type soft fungi worm like cuticles that's why I was cutting them .... working on diet and medical health but this work is all mine

Anonymous

Thank you

Hi, I need a help. I am a woman who has been suffering from brittle nails for almost many years now. I have tried all tricks in the trade and nothing seems to be working. I was advised to be on a calcium rich diet and also take vitamin D supplements to help overcome the problem.

However the problem never really got any better and over the past years it has been only getting worse. Frankly speaking, is there any which can be done to get my nails back to my original shape?

Being a bit knowledgeable in the field of nail and hair care, I firmly believe that I have an answer for you. I have used known as nails biotin. This is not a synthetic product sold to thousands as a marketing gimmick. Though there could be similar brand of biotin available in the market, I for one would strongly recommend a product known by the name Certified Biotin. From what I learn from your problem, it surely must be a case of biotin deficiency. Though you might be adding vitamin H and B-complex in your food, I would strongly urge you to go in for www.certifiedbiotin.com. I am sure you will find it an amazing solution and I have been able to give dozens of women the best of nail growth by using this product.