Removing Ink From Paper

spilled ink on document
Once ink has been applied to paper, it can be a challenge to remove with no trace or without damaging the paper. This is a guide about removing ink from paper.

I have an certificate that is really important for me and it has my name written on it, but the problem is the surname is mistakenly written wrong. I want to erase the blue gel ink from it and re-write my correct name. The paper is quite thick, but smooth from upside. Is there any way I could do this without anyone noticing?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I would guess the certificate would no longer be valid if tampered with. And I don't see any way of removing gel ink.

Can you consult the organization that issued the document and ask if they can issue another?

How do I remove stamp ink from paper?

By libjon from Tirana, Albania

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try nail polish remover with a cotton ball or ear bud and rub it on the ink u want to get rid of. It worked for me

Best Answer

Paint thinner. I forget the name of it but it comes in a small tin can at fredmeyers . Pour the paint thinner in a tall cup and put the paper in the cup and swish it around but never rub it. Rubbing will destroy the paper. It works on most ball point pens.

I have a piece of old paper, that was written on 2 months ago with a black ballpoint pen. How can I remove this ink from the paper without removing the original quality of paper? Basically this old paper is my birth form and some information. Thank you.

By fFhim

Do you know the ink source, liquid, gel? Bic? Whomever, if so, give them a call to see how to remove it safely. You could scan it and remove the ink via Photoshop, other than that, you can send to Vital Statistics for another certified copy.

A paper archivist could remove the ink safely but it would probably cost more than the cost of a new document.

Call your local library and ask for the manager of the genealogy department. If that person can't tell you what to try you can probably be directed to a book on the subject. While it seems a simple task, whatever solution you use has to remove the unwanted ink without disturbing the original print, and the paper makes a difference too.

Forgers will use Acetone (nail polish remover) to dissolve ink, though I've never tried myself and cannot vouch for the results. Cover any ink you don't want to be dissolved with scotch/cello tape (be sure to double over one end so you can remove it later). Then pour a measure of Acetone into a pan or tray large enough to fit the document, and wash it be gently sweeping it through the acetone until the ink is gone. Hang to dry, and finally remove the tape.

How do I remove printing ink from tracing paper?

By Asim from IN

Answers

Anonymous

Could you be more specific of what you mean?

Nail polish remover with a cotton ball or ear bud. Rub it on the ink that you want to remove. Worked for me.

Anonymous

ruined the paper

How do I remove ball point pen on coloured paper?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How can I remove a signature on a message pad written with a ball point pen?

By ARR

Unless, I am misunderstanding something in your question, can't you just get rid of the page that has the signature on it?

I bought a car and the seller signed his name in the buyer spot, how can we fix this

I have some old Record sleeves that has a signature written on it. I want to remove the signature. Do you know of a product that can remove ink from paper? I would appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

I don't know if I should buy an old 45 RPM with the paper sleeve that has a signature written on it in ink or not. It all depends on if I can get the ink off of the paper sleeve. Please let me know if there is a product out there that does this and I will surely buy it. Sincerely.

Irene Irene

Use lighter fluid. My friend owns a bookstore, and another a antique store. Use it sparingly, and try it on the most inconspicuous spot.

Try a Magic Rub Eraser. They can get dirt, ink, and a lot of other things off of paper. You can buy them at art supply stores, school suppliers, Walmart, etc. for a couple of dollars or so. Don't get the pink pearl type erasers. They will only smudge it.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://www.dick  agic-rub-eraser/

I'm making a project for school and as much as I love books, I want to use one to make into a journal for the project. But I don't want to get new pages, what can I do or use to cover or erase the ink?

How to remove ball ink from paper

Is it possible that red ink/gel may be removed from a paper without any damage to the paper?

There is a little ink scribble on a check. How do I remove it?

By Lou

How do you remove purple ink from paper without a trace?

By Alex

How do I remove ball point pen ink from paper without damaging the paper?

I want to remove stamp pad ink from paper.

By sunil

How do remove red refill ink on a paper?

By

How do I remove writing from record labels?

By Vincenzo

How do I erase ink from tracing paper?

By Dave

This is a guide about removing ink from book pages. Removing ink from paper, without damage, can be very difficult if not impossible.

stacks of books

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a certificate on which I have spilled a lot of ink. Can someone tell me how to remove it please?

By Ali

I would like to know how to remove ink from paper.

By Amir from Bangladesh

Answers:

Removing Ink From Paper

Bleach, applied with a q-tip and dabbed, turning q-tip to clean spot after each touch to paper, not rubbing at all. Try on a small area. Try peroxide on q-tip after bleach. Peroxide stops action of bleach, which is naturally degrading. (06/16/2010)

By PIKKA

My 1 year old has taken a pen and written on my new textbook. She basically wrote on the top, it was in my back pack. Is there any way to remove pen from my textbook?

By AZGateway from Chandler, AZ

Answers:

Removing Ink From Paper

If it was ballpoint pen you could try using alcohol applied with a cotton swab to see if it dissolves the ink then blotting it, but some may remain. Good luck. (08/04/2009)

By pamphyila

Removing Ink From Paper

I saw the same thing that Carolyn referred to in the archive question except it was an infommercial for a certain type of pen. It had to do with check fraud. According the the infommercial you need to use acetone rather than non-acetone remover. It's the acetone that works. Hope this helps. (08/04/2009)

By janerg

By mistake I struck out a few words on an important paper with red ink. I need to remove these red marks from the paper, otherwise I will be in big trouble. Can you please help me?

Chandra from Toronto, CA

Answers:

Removing Ink From Paper

If it's white paper try bleach on a q-tip, just dampen and try with your ink on another piece of paper first. Silly putty can work also, the fun tack type of product. (10/08/2008)

By joeb

Removing Ink From Paper

Hairspray should take ink out. I have used it on clothing and other things that had ink on it. (10/08/2008)

Removing Ink From Paper

Have you tried to use a pencil eraser? It should work. I have also used hairspray to remove ink from clothing and what not. Good luck. (10/08/2008)

By m r

Removing Ink From Paper

Here's a link that explains best how to remove ink from paper. Hope it helps you. Continue reading down the whole page for more tips.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/69751. (10/08/2008)

By Lorelei

Removing Ink From Paper

Unless this important paper HAS to be the original (for instance an "original" legal document), a photocopy (not color copy, obviously) will give you something with most of the red strikeouts not visible. After that, a little careful tracing over printing with a fine tip black pen and then ANOTHER photocopy (to even out the colors) may do the trick, and rather simply and easily. You may have already tried this, or may need to be able to restore the original document (like if it's a legal paper). Hope this just might help! (10/10/2008)

By LauraA

Removing Ink From Paper

In art school, we typically used what is called a fiberglass eraser. It is comprised of fine strands of fiberglass, and when you use it, it takes off the top fibers of the paper, leaving the under paper with no markings on it. But you must be extremely careful; if you just rub, it will make a hole clear through the paper. If you choose to get one, practice a lot to make sure you don't ruin the original document. (10/12/2008)

By susanmajp

Removing Ink From Paper

Hairspray works about as well as water. (12/10/2008)

By bob

I goofed when writing on a document. I would like to remove the ink and start over again. I don't just want to block it with white out. How do I remove the ink without ruining the document and the paper?

San Diego Jim

Answers:

Removing Ink From Paper

I saw an article that said that nail polish remover will remove ink from paper without damaging the paper. Soak it for 10 minutes then let it dry. Certain inks will not come off the paper though. If you find an ink that won't come off, make sure you save THAT pen and use IT to write out your checks! The article I read was from the AARP and was meant to help seniors be protected from fraud. (11/20/2004)

By Carolyn

Removing Ink From Paper

Not to point out the obvious, but most ink is used because it CAN'T be removed from paper. If ink could readily be removed from paper, then signing legal or financial documents could get to be very costly. You can try a printing supply house, the kind that sells supplies for offset presses such as Addressograph-Multigraph or A.B. Dick. Look under Printing Supplies in your Yellow Pages. Printing press operators routinely face the chore of removing printing ink from surfaces, tools, clothes, etc. There are some commercial press cleaning solutions that will take the ink out of your document. Depending on the type of ink you used, it may or may not get it all. Can't you just get another copy of the document and start over? (12/25/2004)

By NurseBob

Removing Ink From Paper

I have had success removing ballpoint ink inscriptions from the inside of used books with a very fine sand paper. Sand very lightly. Be careful or you will sand a hole in the page. Although it may result in a slightly whiter spot on the page (depending on the color of the paper) it works better than any liquid solution I have found. (07/22/2005)

By Ford

Removing Ink From Paper

To remove ink from paper one way is to gently rub the ink you want to remove with very light sand paper. Be careful not to rub a hole in the paper. There are other ways but they are not to be released. (10/14/2007)

By joe

Removing Ink From Paper

Silly putty removes ink well. (06/30/2008)

By s