Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

Category Stains
It can be difficult to remove ink from clothing. This guide is about removing ink stains from clothing.

Use hairspray to treat any type of ink stain (permanent marker, ink pen, etc.). Throw it in the wash machine and voila! No more stain. I have been doing this for years and it works fantastic. I bought a prom dress at 85% off because of the ink stain on it. The saleslady told me how to get it out all those many years ago and it is still the best for removing this type of stain.

By Diana Atherton from Las Vegas, NV

Spray deodorant on the stain, then rub with a cloth. It should come off. If it doesn't come off straight away, but instead only fades after you have rubbed it, then spray more deodorant on the stain. :)

Source: My brother

To get ink out of a white shirt or blouse that has already set in the dryer, try this. Place an old towel between the shirt so stain will not go through. Spray hair spray on all the ink spots. Do NOT blot spots. Wash in warm water with laundry detergent. Check again to make sure all stains are out before putting the item in the dryer

By Mythi from WA

If you have children or grandkids, this tip will come in very handy for you all. If your little ones have taken a pen or marker and marked on their clothes or your couch, have the thing to take out that nasty stain. It works great, use the Oust air spray and spray on the pen or marker, get it soaked. Then take a cloth and wash the area with a little soap and water until it's all gone and then let dry. Goodbye pen stains.

by Roxie from Deloraine, Manitoba

If you ever get any ink on your clothing, you can remove it by spraying hair spray on it and then gently rubbing it with an old toothbrush.

My husband left a Bic grip roller black marker in his shirt pocket when I washed and dryed the clothes. Now I has black stains on the clothing. Some of the clothing is white and others are colored. Please help me.

Denise

Answers

Best Answer

I did the same thing when I was waiting tables in college .. isopropyl alcohol and dawn worked on most of the stains. I used to pretreat any stains and washed the shirts with just hot water by hand and kept repeating until the stains were faded or gone .. Good Luck!

Rebekah

PS .. the alcohol also removed the stains from inside the drier as well!

Best Answer

I use hairspray to get ink stains off clothing. For really stubborn stains Tide has something out called Buzz Off which gets stains to disappear. Also, there are in the supermarket laundry aisle small yellow containers (about 5" tall x 1-1/2 to 2" wide with one side slanted) of Carbona Stain Devils.

There are several formulas in different numbered plastic containers with each telling which specific stains they are to be used on. I used these successfully until I got my Tide Buzz Off at Ocean State Job Lot for $10.00 (they used to go for $40.00) The stain devils never failed to get a stain out for me. The Buzz Off even gets a lot of old stains out. Good luck. Joan in CT

By KRISTI (Guest Post)
Best Answer

WD -40 WORKS GREAT. spray on rub in real good , let set for 10 min. throw in wash. gets lpstick, fingernail polish, grease and all other tough stains out.

How do I remove ball point ink from clothing?

By Nancy

Answers

Best Answer

I had ballpoint pen on my good rain jacket and my friend told me to spray some hairspray on the mark and blot with a paper towel and it really worked!
(not sure if I sent this in yesterday or not)
Terri

Best Answer

Hairspray works. So does alcohol on a Qtip or cotton ball. Always test in a seam to be sure the color doesn't run or that it doesn't leave a ring.

I washed and dried light clothing last night. I found them this a.m. with ink stains all over clothes and inside of dryer from a ballpoint pen left in pocket of pants. I cannot get the ink stains off of clothes or dryer. I tried spraying with Zapit and rewashing, then soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking now. I am afraid they are set due to being in dryer.

By lanie from Lake Jackson, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Try soaking it in milk over night. It used to work for me when we had fountain pens.

How do I get ink stains out of clothes after drying?

Answers

How to get ink from already dryed kakies

I left a Pilot pen in my pocket and it got all over khaki pants, cotton shirts, as well as athletic shirts with 50-80% synthetic material. How do I get it out?

By Brad O.

How do you get gel ink out of clothing?

By Marilyn Roysdon from Hamlet, IN

How do I get ink out of my clothes after they have been through the dryer?

By Angelia from MS

Answers:

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

Once it has been dried in it is pretty tough, but try spraying with hairspray and rinsing with cold water.
Good luck. :) (08/18/2010)

By Loretta

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

Pour some rubbing alcohol on to the stain and rub. Repeat if necessary. This always works, even with Sharpie. If you get a stain "ghost", prewash with Fels-Naphta soap, my favorite pre-treater, it works wonders on deodorant stains, too. Just follow directions on the package. Soaking overnight in OxiClean (about 3 scoops per soak in about 1/3 of bucket of warm water) is very good, too. (08/18/2010)

By dilly

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

That will be hard. Fingernail polish with acetone in it, this may get it out. You can dye the material if you don't want to get rid of it. (08/21/2010)

By elva

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

I ran a load of clothing with a Foray roller liquid pen. It broke apart in the wash splattered ink all over my sports shirts and clothing.

I did not see it until after I removed them from the dryer. I took a can of large can of hair spray that I got at CVS and sprayed all the ink spots really good. Then I placed it in the wash with liquid detergent and guess what, they all disappeared. I mean every spot was gone. Try it! (08/22/2010)

By dan

How do you get rid of an ink stain? The sweater is a mixture of wool and synthetic.

Love Cat from Arlington, VA

Answers:

Ink Stain on a Sweater

Sometimes you can put a paper towel on the under side and put alcohol on a paper towel and blot until it all comes out then wash as usual. Not all ink comes out, but this works with ball point ink or red postal ink. (06/20/2007)

By Audrey B.

Load More