Removing Makeup Tips and Tricks

Category Removal
It is recommended to remove all make up before going to bed. This guide is about removing makeup.

My eye doctor told me that you can use regular baby shampoo as a remover for mascara and eye makeup. It is much cheaper than the commercial removers! You can also dilute your regular shampoo with baby shampoo to make it less harsh. I do that with my dandruff shampoo, which otherwise I find too drying on my scalp.

By Pam from Los Angeles, CA

An inexpensive and effective way to remove eye make-up is with petroleum jelly. It works well and also helps keep delicate skin around the eyes soft. Simply wipe on with a finger and tissue off, then wash your face as you normally do.

By Thriftsavvy from West Dundee, IL

Use up you eye make up remover and moister creams, cleansers and then buy jojoba oil to replace all three. This is what I have done and I am now saving money buying a natural oil which I get at my health food Store. This jojoba oil has replaced my eye make up remover. Just moisten a cotton ball and gently remove eye make up.

You can extend you facial moisturizer by adding just a couple drops of jojoba oil to it, or as I am now doing the jojoba oil is now my moisturizer. I just put some on a cotton ball and put on each a.m. and p.m. For cleansing my face I put the jojoba oil on a cotton ball and wipe my face gently to remove all make up, then rinse with a damp wash cloth. This is the best product and it is all natural with out any chemicals. There is no reason to spend lots of hard earned cash on expensive facial products. I am very happy with the results.

Source: My daughter's dermatologist told us about jojoba oil.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

To remove makeup I fill the sink basin with warm water and add a squirt of sweet almond oil (you could use other oils as well, but stay away from perfumed petrol oils such as baby oil) and wash my face with a natural soap (use your preferred kind). When I rinse I just rinse with the water that's in the basin, and make sure to rinse well and especially the eye area if you are wearing eye makeup.

You can even massage the water into your face/eye area to remove as it will also moisturize at the same time. Since it is a natural oil, it will absorb quickly and you don't have to worry about ingesting some petrol product into your system, and leave no oily, greasy residue sitting on your skin.

BTW, I have pretty normal skin, that is sometimes dry in winter. You would have to choose an oil that is suitable to your skin type I would think! But I find it works great.

I also add oils to natural lotions for an extra kick, and stretch to the life of the lotion. It's also great on my kids.

By MelWashereTuesday from Winnipeg, MB

I use vaseline to remove my mascara, eye liner and shadow everyday. This works before or after a shower and doesn't sting if you get it in your eyes. Plus, it's very cheap. I've been using the same vaseline jar for over a year and it was under $3.00.

Source: My college roommate. :)

By Mandy from Michigan

I purchase inexpensive tubs of baby wipes, and use them daily for makeup removal. After using them to clean my face, I then wipe my sink before tossing. This helps to keep the sink clean between regular thorough cleanings.

By rcpeters from Midland, MI

You could try buying the same brands of mascara and eye makeup remover. Ponds Cold Cream is what removes theatrical makeup. Apply that to lashes and rub off with facial tissue.

I use a simple routine for washing my face that has saved me a fortune in costly creams or soaps. I buy an inexpensive large cocoa butter lotion from the chain store to remove all of my makeup.

Wearing makeup daily can be tough on your skin. To ensure good skin health, removing your makeup thoroughly and regularly is a best practice. This is a guide about removing makeup and caring for your skin.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about homemade eye makeup remover recipes. Save money by making your own eye makeup cleaner at home.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Dab a small amount of your everyday plain hand or body lotion on to a soft dry face clothe. You will see even the heaviest, blackest eyeliners, mascaras and eye shadows wipe completely away, without pain or fuss.

Milk makes a great make-up remover. Dip a cotton ball in milk and gently wipe off makeup. By Kristen

This is a pretty simple cleansing routine that should be safe for all skin types.

What do you use to remove makeup from your face? I use Dove bar soap with a face cloth. Lately, I've noticed that Dove is not removing all the makeup after I wash my face. Sometimes after I wash my face I will get another clean face cloth and wipe my face and more makeup comes off. Do you use something better at removing makeup?

Onesummer

Answers

I also use Dove bar soap to wash my face.
I'm retired, so I don't wear makeup every day, but when I do, this is how I wash it off:

1. DO NOT wet your face first.
2. Work up a good lather in your hands.
3. Rub the lather onto your face with your hands.
4. Rinse well.

By not wetting your face or using a washcloth, you won't be diluting the lather. This way, the lather works more like a cleansing cream.

Not knowing what kind of makeup you wear, I can't guarantee this will work for you. But you already have the soap, so it won't cost you anything to try!

Tips and ideas for removing make up. Post your ideas.

Answers

Sleep at a friend's home unexpectedly? Well how are you supposed to get your make-up off, clean your hair, even moisturize your lips without your magic bag of tricks at home?

I hate using someone else's products because they cost so much it almost feels like stealing. So instead all you need are 4 low cost items and you'll be good.

Rubbing Alcohol
Petroleum Jelly / Vaseline
Cotton balls
Baby powder / cornstarch

By Suzanne S.

I'm thinking if you have these items on hand you could just as easily have a small package of baby wipes (make up remover), a travel bottle of shampoo, and a chapstick stashed in a zipper bag in the glove box of your car.

All you really need is one product- good old cold cream. Jergens brand is inexpensive and takes off all kinds of makeup-even on the eyes and doesnt
burn your eyes at all. It leaves your face really feeling soft.

In an emergency i use Olive Oil from the kitchen to remove my make up. You only need a little bit and a 250ml bottle could last forever (well a long time anyway!)

I usually i use Sweet Almond oil. It works a treat, is good for my skin and very cheap.

Monique x

I use a cotton ball with baby oil for my eyes and then wash face with dove soap and the soap actually moisturizes as you wash your face! It works for me!""

Always use baby oil to remove your make-up. Works great, moisturizes, and costs less than make up removal concoctions purchased at high dollar prices!

By Jenssequa

Even cheaper than baby oil is mineral oil ...and since baby oil is nothing more than mineral oil with fragrance added, you'll get the same gentle results.

for my eye makeup i have always used the cheapest petrolium jelly and an old washcloth dampened with very warm water.. very soothing.

I use a product called Cetaphil... it is the absolute most gentle product I can find. Often I find the store brand right next to the bottle on the shelf which is even cheaper than Cetaphil is... they are usually located on the bottom shelves in the facial cleanser section of the drug store.

I don't like to film that is left behind be petroleum products or baby/mineral oils. Cetaphil leaves no film behind and is waterless... I just apply it with a cotton ball and wipe it and the makeup away with a clean cotton.

When removing make-up, don't spend money on expensive cosmetic removers, baby oil will remove your make-up just as well and is much less expensive!

By Suzy Horvath

I use my kids tearless shampoo in the shower to remove eye make-up. It's cheaper than 'real' make-up remover and is always there in the shower. Plus, no stinging!

By kami

I have discovered that baby wipes work as well, if not better than the stuff they sell for removing eye makeup. Baby wipes also take off foundation and blush. I also sometimes use them as a quick face wipe, because they are far cheaper than the moist ones, or the ones that you have to moisten. I was watching "The View" one morning a long time ago, and Star Jones Reynolds was asked what she did to keep her skin looking so flawless. Her response was that she uses baby wipes. She said she figured if they were good enough for a baby's butt, then why couldn't she use them for her face? I decided to give it a try. I used them once to take off eye makeup and after that was sold! For the price of what you would pay for one of those containers of facial wipes, you could probably purchase a couple of hundred baby wipes. The other thing I found that is also great for removing eye make up is vaseline. It's really cheap, and it takes make up off far more quickly than the bottled stuff.

Every night I use Aloe Vera Gel that is in a pump (Walgreens- one squirt for each eye) and I also buy the the inexpensive cotton squares from the dollar store. This removes my eyeliner and waterproof mascara with such ease and it lasts for months.

Pam from MN

I would be cautious when using baby oil, or Vaseline on your eyes to remove makeup. I wear contacts and that was by far the worst thing I could have used..some of the oil or jelly gets into your eyes and it's just plain messy. Stick with the baby wipes very gentle and effective without the oily gunk you would feel using baby oil. I would not use baby oil all over your face for makeup remover either..can cause blocked pours and breakouts.

I would be cautious when using baby oil, or Vaseline on your eyes to remove makeup. I wear contacts and that was by far the worst thing I could have used..some of the oil or jelly gets into your eyes and it's just plain messy. Stick with the baby wipes very gentle and effective without the oily gunk you would feel using baby oil. I would not use baby oil all over your face for makeup remover either..can cause blocked pores and breakouts.

If you are prone to breaking out, never use any product with mineral oil in it, and that includes baby oil! Mineral oil has been clinically proven to cause and/or exacerbate breakouts.

Eek! If you have dry/mature/or sensitive skin please don't use straight rubbing alcohol on your face! Witch hazel is a much better option, and usually costs about the same. It tightens pores and doesn't dry half as much as alcohol does.

Sweet Almond oil, Olive oil, and mineral oil are all good to remove eye makeup (plus they moisturize), but you should avoid anything with fragrance in it (it might sting!)

If your trying to get off make-up, I've found the best way to do so is using vaseline or lotion. Just put some on your lashes and your eye make-up will come off super easy!

People usually ask me if my eyelashes are natural. I tell them that my beauty secret for keeping them strong is Vaseline(did you know that Vaseline makes them fuller and longer?). It removes eye make-up easily and it is so cheap!
Baby wipes are amazing too! And if you don't have baby wipes, then use a mild shampoo to remove your make up...cheap, easy and safe! I use Proderm's Baby Shampoo and it has never disappointed me!:-)

Mineral oil, baby oil or petroleum jelly remove mascara just as well as any fancy makeup remover and keep the cost to a minimal amount. They are more effective and gentle than soap and water, and they leave behind a thin, protective film that moisturizes lids and lashes. When removing eye makeup wipe gently, don't rub, each eyelash you lose will take 9 months to replace.

By joesgirl

Answers:

Removing Eye Makeup

Instead of purchasing expensive eye makeup remover, use petroleum jelly! It works great - just put a bit on a tissue and brush against your eye. It removes mascara, eye liner and eye shadow.

By defoliate (11/24/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Eye Makeup

I've been using the name brand of Vaseline since high school to take off my eye makeup. I'm 61 years old now and I firmly believe that it has done wonders to keeping my eye area soft and practically wrinkle free! (11/24/2004)

By LasVegasAngel

Removing Eye Makeup

I always use either olive oil or sesame oil for removing make-up, and as long as you don't get it on your eyes, it works wonderfully. (07/21/2007)

By Kalos

Removing Eye Makeup

My sister has a girlfriend who has used Crisco to remove her eye make up and foundation! She's used it for years and uses a wash cloth to remove it (08/27/2007)

By metroplex

A much cheaper alternative for eye make-up remover is to use the 'Johnson and Johnson No Tears' baby shampoo. All you need is a little dab on a wet wash cloth. Plus I always had to use a cotton ball with traditional make-up remover, but with the shampoo, no wasted cotton ball!

Source: My mind drifting as usual.

By Sunshine from Carlisle, PA

Answers:

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

You can also use baby oil or petroleum jelly, or for an even healthier alternative, use olive oil. Many women swear by it! (02/16/2009)

By Ree 127

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I have just recently heard that baby shampoo still has all of the nasty chemicals and just has an additive that is a numbing agent in there that makes it
"tearless"
Sandy (02/16/2009)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I use vaseline it works great to take off mascara too, and cheap too. I wipe it off with a tissue then wash my face as usual. (02/16/2009)

By Missy

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I use un-petroleum jelly (it comes in a tube) and it works wonderfully! (02/17/2009)

By Maryeileen

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

Ladies, ladies! Please don't use petroleum jelly, baby oil, Vaseline. They have mineral oil in them and that's a NASTY chemical that is so unsafe for you skin. The skin around your eyes is so sensitive and so thin, why would you put bad things on them that is dangerous to your system.

To be truly frugal and healthy, use olive oil. It is wonderful for removing all make-up - even waterproof mascara. And it leaves your skin so smooth after the oil has soaked in. If you have oily skin (lucky you) and don't want that extra oil, then just wash your face off with an all natural tea tree soap. (02/17/2009)

By Peechee

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I use baby wipes. They don't sting your eyes or anything and work great! (02/24/2009)

By Timothea

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I use baby lotion (or baby oil for waterproof stuff) Its cheap and lasts AGES - the regular size one lasts me about 6 months! Ive found the J and J one is the best - generic ones tend to be absorbed too easily by the cotton pad/ball.
Its also a really good cleanser and toner 2in1 when you are in a hurry! (02/24/2009)

By CM

Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

I, too, use olive oil as a makeup remover, but I do use baby wash (not shampoo or baby oil) for a facial wash so I can get my eyelashes clean. Does the baby wash have the bad chemicals as well? (04/19/2009)

By mzpossum