Removing Onion and Garlic Smell From Hands

Category Odors
Onions and garlic both can leave your hands pretty smelly. This is a guide about removing onion and garlic smell from hands.

I know this will sound ridiculously silly to some, but if you have ever thought about buying those stainless still things that are shaped like bars of soap that say they get rid of the onion smell on your hands, here is a simpler way to do it.

I have a stainless steel sink. I wet my hands and rub them all around the sink, even splitting my my fingers and running them across the center divider of my sinks. Then I wash with regular soap and water and the onion smell is gone. If you don't have a stainless steel sink, use the back of a stainless spoon to rub and "wash" the smell off of your hands. Wash with soap and rinse. The metal pulls the odor out of your skin.

By diane szlucha from Owego, NY

Top Comment

Works every time. Just wipe wet hands over the faucet arm, onion or garlic smell is gone.
GG Vi

This isn't exactly a cooking tip, it is a cleaning tip to use while you are cooking. To get the onion smell off your hands, rinse them in white vinegar. There will be no trace of onion.

Source:

By Clynn from Inglis, FL

After cutting onions or garlic, use a tomato to wash your hands (it doesn't have to be immediately). Some people say minty toothpaste does the job, but it's never worked for me.

By TeeeeeeeeeeJ from Canada

Want the quickest and easiest way to get the smell of onion, chives and garlic off your hands?

Simply rub your fingers on anything stainless steel (the smooth blade of your kitchen cleaver, sharpening rod, or the side of a pan). The smell is gone quickly and efficiently and no mess to clean up. Try it, you'll be glad you found this secret.

By Penny

How can I get rid of onion smell from my hands?

By Linda M.

Answers

Best Answer

Just run your hands under cold running water while using a stainless steel spoon at the same time and wipe the spoon and running water all over your hands where the smell is. Works like a charm.

Want the quickest and easiest way to get the smell of onion, chives, and garlic off your hands?

By Penny

Answers:

Removing the Smell of Onions, Chives or Garlic From Your Hands

Rubbing your hands with cooking oil does this as well and it also is good for your skin (olive oil smells wonderful). You wash off the excess, ending up with lovely smooth sweet-smelling hands. (06/03/2004)

By Gill

I've heard that running your hands over your kitchen faucet will do the same thing. I've tried it once and it worked, much to my surprise! (06/05/2004)

By Terri H.

Removing the Smell of Onions, Chives or Garlic From Your

When lemon juice won't remove onion smell, I either rub the back of stainless steel spoon over hands, while holding both under water, or with water running, I run my hands around my stainless steel kitchen sink. The make up of the stainless steel interacts with the chemicals, causing the onion smell to simply wash away.

Gladys
(10/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I sprinkle a little table salt on, rub until dissolved and then wash with water. (10/31/2004)

By seeyude

Once you get the onion or garlic on your hands, rinse with cool, not hot water. The hot water seems to make your hands absorb it. Once it has been absorbed, it is much harder to get off. You can also try rubbing baking soda between your hands and around your fingers, that should absorb some of the odor.

Susan from ThriftyFun (01/13/2005)

By ThriftyFun

I used a nickel. (03/01/2006)

By Patrick

This trick surprisingly actually worked more than I thought it would. (05/24/2006)

By stani stan

You can also dip your hands into lemon juice or vinegar. Both will remove the smell. Both, also, act as a mild bleach for removing stains around your fingers, good for the gardener to know.

(05/27/2006)

By gator

Try olive oil plus coarse salt (kosher-ing salt). (05/28/2006)

By judy sneh

Try using coffee grounds. Put them in a cup with a little bit of water until it forms a paste then rub it over your hands. It works quite well if you don't mind your hands smelling like coffee. (12/29/2006)

By Molly

Try rubbing your hands with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and common salt. (10/12/2007)

By Bhaskar

I work at a sub shop, and I work with onions almost every day, and I'm sorry to say that none of these tricks work. There are however ways you can get around the smell in general. When you're working with onions, wear gloves! If that's impractical, when you're done using the onions, wash your hands thoroughly in COLD water. Hot water opens the pores in your hands, allowing the odour or onions to get stuck in the pores. Cold water keeps them closed and lets the smell run off.

The only trick that may work is rubbing dry baking soda on your hands thoroughly and then washing it off. Do it twice, and then rise the second batch off with soap.

Hope this helped anyone,

(10/19/2007)

By Steve

Try rubbing your hands with tomato. (11/16/2007)

By Nancy from Jamaica, NY

A British 1 pound coin worked on my fingers, used garlic 2 days ago and couldn't get rid of smell. I just did the 1 pound, and now 1hr later still no garlic smell! wooohoo! (11/19/2007)

By Darren

Just about the best thing to get rid of onions, garlic, etc. is washing your hands with strong mouthwash. (Scrubbing with coffee grounds will work too if the smell isn't too strong.) You may need to wash, rinse, and repeat, but the mouthwash will work. (02/27/2008)

By Peanut

Lemon juice or dish detergent like Joy with lemon get rid of onion and garlic smell from your hands. (04/09/2008)

By Gary Dominicus

I tried the mouth wash and it worked good. (09/29/2008)

By KPNorthwest

I have always put vinegar on my hands first before cutting onions or garlic and it does work. (10/30/2008)

By Pat

I have used salt to remove onion and garlic odors from my hands over the years, but you can also use stainless steel! You can purchase a stainless steel bar for less than $10 at specialty shops or search online. I just usually rub my hands over the divider in my stainless steel sink or the faucet itself. Works well, and you don't have the stinging sensation you might get from salt, if you have scrapes or cuts on your hands/fingers.

Source: First saw the stainless steel bar on Martha Stewart's show.

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR

Answers:

Remove Garlic and Onion Odors from Hands

Lemon Juice also removes garlic and onion odor from hands and acts as a skin softener as well. Healing dry chapped hands. (05/14/2009)

By carlan wright

What is the best soap or hand sanitizer to get rid of the smell of onion off your hands?

How do you remove garlic smell from your hands after cooking?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Tip for remove garlic and onion odors from your hands.