Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Our rental property has carpet and the last renters had cats who peed in the carpet. I need to know what I can clean the carpet in the whole house with or what should I do?

Thanks.

By carsonsmomy from TN

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

We had to replace the carpeting including the padding. When it was removed, yellow spots in the concrete were very evident all over the house. These I washed with water and Clorox before the new carpeting was laid.

We replaced the carpeting with one that has a plastic liner, and it is advertised as a product for people with pets. I got it from Home Depot. Truly, the plastic liner looked more like thick Saran Wrap, but we didn't have a choice. The house has since been sold a few years ago, the new owners have dogs and have already had the carpets cleaned, and there was no comment about the smell coming back, so I guess it works! (07/05/2010)

By cookwie

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

We had dog urine on our carpets. I rented a steam cleaner and cleaned the carpets 6 times. The rinse water was coming out clean and I thought we were good. The next day the carpet was dry and I thought I could still smell a faint smell of urine. Grrrr. By the next day all the smell was back again, I read the posts and tried peroxide and baking soda in a test area. It seemed not bad. Today, I mixed a spray bottle half and half with Scope and peroxide then poured a liberal amount of baking soda though a sifter over the area. At this moment it seems to have neutralized the smell!

When dry I will vacuum the area and if it still smell is gone I will steam clean out the Scope and hope that will be the end of it. (08/17/2010)

By toaster

scope as in mouthwash scope?