Removing Petroleum Based Solvent Odor from Clothing

Category Odors
basket of dirty laundry
Solvents such as Goo Gone and Goof Off are very aromatic and it can be difficult to remove the odor from your laundry. This is a guide about removing petroleum based solvent odor from clothing.

How do you remove the smell of Varsol from clothing? A shirt that had been in contact with Varsol was washed in the washing machine with other clothing and now the whole load of clothing has the Varsol smell. I've tried both hot and cold water washes with laundry detergent to get the smell out, without any luck.

By Lottien from Toronto, Canada

We have a liquid product in the U.S. called Lestoil, made by the Clorox Company, that gets out oil, tar, and grease stains. I would think doing your laundry with this product would take the smell out, since it works on petroleum products. This product is found in the stores where the detergent products are sold.

You could try a box of baking soda in with your laundry detergent on the load of clothes. It took the gasoline smell out of a load of clothes that got washed with my son's smelly gasoline clothes. Hope this helps you.

My DH works in a commercial kitchen and his clothes reek of cooking oil. I found a tip (I believe on Thriftyfun.com) to wash the clothes using a tablespoon or two of powder dishwashing soap. He puts in the following:

Oxy Clean 1 scoop

Tide 1 scoop

Dry cascade dishwasher soap 1- or 2 TBSP

Then he puts in 1/2 cup of vinegar in the softener spot, this if for the rinse cycle. It may smell like vinegar at first but the smell goes away as it dries. It works great, he no longer has that smell.

On his black T-shirts. he uses cold water and he omits the oxy clean and they still come out awesome.

Give it a try.

Thanks!

I discovered a crayon had been left in my son's pocket and went through the washer and dryer. Needless to say, it created a mess on the whole load of clothes and the inside of the dryer. Magic Eraser worked to clean the dryer, and Goo-Gone got the crayon off the clothes.

Now, my problem is that the clothes smell like Goo Gone, even after being washed three times. Any ideas how to get the smell out?

By kates1134 from Lexington, KY

Answers

I don't know if this would work, but you might try mixing up some baking soda and soaking the clothes in it.

My suggestion would be to let it air out in full sun until the smell is gone; shouldn't take too long. Just check often for color-fastness and smell. I've used this method many times, and it works pretty good. Good luck.

I have had the same problem in the past I poured a 1/2 cup white vinegar in the sink then filled w/cold water and let the items soak for 2 hrs. I then rinsed the items and washed in the washing machine: adding an additional 1/2 cup of white vinegar. This did remove the odor and a soft sent of vinegar lingered; but went away after I hung the items on hangers after drying.

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer. About a month ago, I accidentally washed a cloth soaked with a gun-cleaning solvent. Since that time, after many loads of wash and attempts to get rid of the smell - it persists both in the machine itself and usually in the clothes as well. Even going on vacation for a week and leaving the door open to air out didn't help.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or ideas anyone may have to solve this problem. Thanks!

Andy from TX

Try running a cycle of strong vinegar water in the washer. Vinegar is a natural cleaner and will take even gasoline odor off your hands.

Mix vinegar and baking soda, and run the machine full cycle. First put three tablespoons of baking soda in the machine. Then add 1/2 cup baking soda.

If odor lingers after the vinegar try using Lemon KOOL-AID. The regular not the sugar sweetened. Takes smells out like magic in the dishwasher too.

How do I get the smell of gun cleaning solvent out of my clothes? Thank you in advance for your answers.

By Nancy