Goo Gone Smell On Clothing

I discovered a crayon had been left in my son's pocket and went through the washer and dryer. Needless to say, it created a mess on the whole load of clothes and the inside of the dryer. Magic Eraser worked to clean the dryer, and Goo-Gone got the crayon off the clothes.

Now, my problem is that the clothes smell like Goo Gone, even after being washed three times. Any ideas how to get the smell out?

By kates1134 from Lexington, KY

I don't know if this would work, but you might try mixing up some baking soda and soaking the clothes in it.

My suggestion would be to let it air out in full sun until the smell is gone; shouldn't take too long. Just check often for color-fastness and smell. I've used this method many times, and it works pretty good. Good luck.

I have had the same problem in the past I poured a 1/2 cup white vinegar in the sink then filled w/cold water and let the items soak for 2 hrs. I then rinsed the items and washed in the washing machine: adding an additional 1/2 cup of white vinegar. This did remove the odor and a soft sent of vinegar lingered; but went away after I hung the items on hangers after drying.

Thank you to those who suggested I use Goo Gone to get sticker residue off my daughter's shirts. Now I can't get the smell of Goo Gone out of the shirts. I've washed three times with vinegar, I've let it soak in detergent. I've used extra detergent and the smell still lingers strongly (which smells like gasoline for those of you wondering what the odor is like). Any other ideas? Thank you.

Melissa W.

Answers:

Goo Gone Smell On Clothing

Sorry to hear that, Melissa. I've never had that happen when I used Goo-gone, so I'm not sure what you should do. Have you tried soaking the shirt in baking soda and water (a high baking soda/water ratio)? That would be the next thing I'd try, then I'd wash it after soaking (if the smell seems gone or mostly gone), and hang it out to dry. I hope if this doesn't help, someone else can give you some guidance.

Terry from ChilliOH (05/03/2005)

By terdralynn

Goo Gone Smell On Clothing

Try soaking them in bleach that is color safe. (05/05/2005)

By Mrs. Clean

Goo Gone Smell On Clothing

The crew that installed new windows in my home used Goo Be Gone to clean the stickers off the windows. The house stunk for 2 days; airing it out didn't work, neither did six little bowls of vinegar throughout the 1100 sq ft area. What did work was closing the windows and heating the house up to about 86 degrees. The heat minimized the smell. (11/21/2008)

By Krisancan