Removing Red Clay Stains on Clothing

Category Stains
Typically this clay contains quite a bit of iron, making these dirt stains on clothes and shoes difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing red clay stains on clothing.

How do you clean red dirt out of baseball pants?

Baseballmom from Houston

Answers

I put Tide with bleach on my Son's baseball pants & an hour later, I wash them. The pants are white, and they come out very clean.

Get Oxi-Clean in the laudry department of your local grocery store. Use as directed. I know for a fact that it takes out NC red clay on baseball uniforms & grass stains!

Good Luck!

We just arrive home from Henderson Nevada. My son started out with white pants and now I own 3 pairs of stained clay dirt pants. I tired the oxi clean and soaked for 3 hours. The dirt still on the pants. I washed aganist directions with Bleach still red stains. I am stuck with 3 $40.00 ruined baseball pants. Help!!!

This works well on all stains that are "set". Get a big soup kettle and boil water in it. Add Biz detergent to the water then add your baseball pants and cook (or boil) for 30 minutes. If the stains are really bad just pretreat with the biz paste mixed with water. You can also add Clorox II directly to the stains. This will also remove stubborn baby formula from babies' clothes.

Try Clay Mate in one pound jars found on dicks' sporting goods web site.

My son wore white pants for school and when he went to Cooperstown. I have tried Tide, Tide with Bleach, Purex, Wisk, Oxyclean, Greased Lightening, Resolve, Spray and Wash, Shout, Extra Strength Shout, 2 different kinds of cleanser I got from the dollar store, and and my son's white pants are still stained. I soaked the pants in Tide for 3 days. They were blue. I had to wash them three times to get all the soap out and they still had clay and mud stains in them. Soaked them in bleach for 24 hours - no help. Now, to top it all off, the travel team has decided to go with white pants! When someone finds something that REALLY gets these stains out of pants, please let me know.

How do i remove red dirt stains from socks and t-shirts?

Thank you,
jeepr04 from South Carolina

Answers

I always used a bar of plain bath soap to remove red dirt from my son's ball uniforms.

I found that Shout worked well on red dirt when my son played baseball, they always had white pants, so irritating to try to keep them clean. But now that oxyclean has a laundry additive, I would give that a try. I recently bought some and tried it and it has removed old stains, not red dirt, I haven't tried it on that as of yet.

Hope this helps.
Tina

Buy some OxiClean additive (you'll never be sorry).

A women who's boys played softball on a red dirt field in western NC told me that "she never had a problem getting any of the red clay out of their uniforms".

Convinced me (my husband works on hydrolic machinery with lots of oil) so I bought some, used it AND LOVE IT! I promise you will too!

Forget about borax, forget about clorox buy this instead...you'll never go back to them again!

I tried bleach, oxyclean, baking soda with white vinegar; did not work my doggie jumped on me getting those red dirt/clay prints on my white t shirt

and 3 years later the little prints are still there.
Sometimes if they dry first or go through dryer before you catch it it sets in.

Don't know if this product is still on the market, but back when my son was in Little League, you could purchase a liquid, color-safe "bleach" called Vivid. It came in a bright yellow pastic bottle. I would pre-treat with that, rub it in with an old toothbrush and let it sit for awhile (overnight if possible), then wash. It worled like a charm!

What is the best way to remove red clay stains from washable clothing?

Answers

I live in East Tennessee and I have never been able to remove red clay. When my boys were little I had church underwear, school underwear and play out underwear. My sister laughed at me because she had boys who didn't get all that dirty.
When the boys came home from school or church they changed from the skin out.
I don't have to deal with the clay any more but if you have a solution I'll be happy to pass it along.

I've used a product called Mom's Field Day (www.momsfieldday.com) and it worked like magic! I haven't heard many people talk about it but it sure saved our kids baseball pants during an away game.

Anonymous

Remove red clay from wedding dress

The best product on the market is Clubhouse Kit. The products in Clubhouse Kit were developed for Major League Baseball and it works everytime. No soaking or scrubbing.

I need help getting red Maui dirt off my non-leather white athletic shoes. The stains are new, not yet washed or treated. I have only dry brushed the loose dirt and dust. There is a mesh type fabric that is some sort of synthetic also in the construction of the shoe with the same staining. Any help is appreciated. They are new Earth shoes and cost about $100, so I would like to salvage them.

By ML from San Jose, CA

Answers

Detergent
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
Pillow case
Step 1 - Clean Stains
Use a Clorox Bleach Pen to remove stubborn stains. The cleaning pen comes equipped with a small brush on one end of it. Squeeze on the Clorox liquid and scrub the stained area with the brush. To clean the rubber soles, use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. Spray the foam onto a paper towel and rub the soles to get rid of dirt or black marks.

Step 2 - White Shoelaces
Take out the laces from the shoes and remove insoles. Wash shoelaces in the washing machine along with the shoes. You can always purchase new shoelaces to replace dirty or worn old ones.

Step 3 - Clean Shoes in the Washing Machine
To get the entire shoe clean, wash it in the machine. Place the white shoes in a pillow case to protect the inside of the machine. Run the 'gentle' cycle with regular detergent.

Step 4 - Dry White Canvas Shoes
Remove the clean shoes from the pillow case. Stuff the shoes with paper towels to hold their shape while they dry at room temperature.

Materials for Cleaning White Leather Athletic Shoes
Plastic or metal tub
Liquid soap
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
Soft bristle toothbrush
Sponge
Towel
Paper Towels
Step 1 - Get Rid of Dirt and Grime
Wipe your white sports shoes with liquid soap and a paper towel to eliminate surface grime. Rub any creases on leather to loosen dirt. Be careful to not scrub the shoes too hard as some leathers will flake off.

Step 2 - Wash Shoelaces
Toss shoelaces in the wash with white laundry.

Step 3 - Clean Rubber Soles
Clean dirty rubber soles with Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner.

Step 4 - Wash White Athletic Shoes
Fill a sink or plastic or metal tub with warm water and add some liquid soap. Submerge the shoes in the water, and scrub them with a sponge.

Step 5 - Dry Leather Sports Shoes
Remove the shoes from the tub. Soak up water on the inside and outside of shoes with a towel or paper towels. Allow shoes to air dry completely before wearing them.
good luck.

Considering where you live, the next time you buy shoes (or succeed in cleaning the current pair), get some Scotchguard and use it before wearing the shoes out of the house.

Use your vacuum cleaner. Take attachment off and put the metal hose part directly on the shoes. I've got lots of trail dust out of mine this way.

My sister-in-law has found her dream wedding dress on eBay, but it has stains on the alencon lace train from red clay. Can this be fixed? What would be the best way to clean them off? Thanks a bunch!

Casie

Answers

I know that Zest bar soap gets red clay stains off white baseball pants. Might be worth a try.

will try the Zest bar soap, we have red clay stains on a lot of clothes and tennis shoes. Most of my daughters clothes are ruined from it. We are building a house and have red clay everywhere. When the rains came we had a lake of red clay.

If anyone has any other remedies that work I am sure we would appreciate it.