Removing Rotten Meat Odor from Deep Freezer

I have a chest freezer that had a rotten turkey in it due to the power going out. When the power returned it tripped the breaker. The freezer works still, but the smell is horrible because the power was off to it for 3 months before I noticed the smell coming from the shed.

When I opened it the meat on the turkey was decomposed and juicy. It took a lot to get to the turkey and reach in and get it. I took the freezer out into the yard and removed the drain plugs. I washed it out with water and bleach and maybe a whole shelf of cleaning supplies as well. Then I left it in the yard for a month to air out.

The smell was kinda gone, but since I have plugged it back in and let it freeze, I put a bag of ice in it. The ice had this taste of rotten meat and the smell is kinda back. The freezer has an aluminum shell with foam insulation. Any ideas on what I can use to clean it besides napalm? That is my choice to try next. It's a 2 year old freezer and I paid high dollars for it.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You could try activated charcoal or cat litter. If the smell still persists, it may have gotten into the insulation and you would need a professional appliance service company to fix it.

That does not sound like a fun sight to have to deal with.

There is a forum on ThriftyFun if you want to reference:
http://www.thri … m-a-Freezer.html

For some research online says:

Combine 1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of water. Alternatively, use 2 tablespoons of baking soda per quart of water. Then, scrub the interior of the freezer with the solution should do the trick.

Reference: http://homeguid … eezer-33268.html

Hope that helps - good luck!

Boy - I cannot image how you were able to remove the rotting meat!!
Hope you are able to open your shed so you do not have to breathe any suggested cleaning methods.
I believe you should take any cleaning solution you decide to try and put some in a good spray bottle so you can spray into every nook and cranny several times.
Did anything drip on the floor? This may need cleaning also. Be sure to take all racks/baskets outside, scrub them well and leave in the sunshine a couple of days.
Some ThriftyFun past posts on this subject have some very good suggestions and I think you will find one that you can use.

http://www.thri … f207575.tip.html