AdviceCleaning

Removing Tiger Glue Spill from Sink

I have Tiger glue that spilled in my kitchen sink that is about 20 years old. Any idea how to remove it? Help.

You can use something greasy like petroleum jelly or mayonnaise to soften the bond and scrape it off with the edge of an old credit card.

If the sink is porcelain, try in tiny spot to make sure it does no damage, a little bit of goo be gone on a white rag. Rub it in and then see if you can peel it off with the goo be gone scraper (it should come with a little plastic scraper). If that works, keep going! If not, try pouring boiling water on it and scraping.

If it is metal, try to fill the sink with the hottest water you can, let it soak, then try to scrape it off with a rubber spatula (or the goo be gone plastic scraper). Never use any abrasives on either sink type. Hope this solves the challenge!

I've always used fingernail polish remover. You can try scratching the surface a bit with a fingernail file. The take a small piece of cotton and add the polish remover to this. Let it soak for about 10 minutes and you should be able to scrape it off. I know this works because I've done it on the countertops in my home and it didn't damage them at all.

It appears from the picture that your sink is porcelain and if it is over 20 years old then it is probably very good porcelain and most normal cleaners will not damage it. Also, 20 years ago about the only strong glue around was super glue so this may be what is on your sink.

• If this is a sink that you use everyday, it is a mystery as to how it has not worn off some during all that time but maybe it is not used very often?
  • Still, strong glue can last "forever" unless the right combination of removers is used.
  • I believe that acetone (nail polish remover) is what has always been recommended for removing superglue. Just has to be used with caution, as anything can sometimes do harm if not used properly.
  • Some sites recommend using a razor blade to scrape off the top hard layer of old glue but this has to used very carefully as blades are rigid and do not bend around corners/curves.
  • There are several adhesive-removal solvents available that may make this job a lot easier. Goo-Gone is one that is highly recommended but there are several others.
  • It may always be a good idea to use a q-tip when using any kind of products on the glue.
  • Sometimes a scrubbie (I like the green ones from Dollar Tree) will remove any small amounts of residue left after most of the glue has been removed.
  • Ad

• All of this may take more than one application to remove 20 year old glue.
  • Here is a site that shows several steps on removing old glue but caution should be used when using anything like a sharp blade.
  • cleaning.tips.net/T010453_Removing_Superglue_from_Porcelain...