Removing a Bandage

Remember when you were a kid and your mom ripped the bandage off quickly to get the painful process over as soon as possible? Well there are some other methods that may work as well or better. This is a guide about removing a bandage.

You can reduce the pain of removing an adhesive bandage by applying baby oil to the adhesive portion of the bandage. Let the baby oil soak for 5 to 10 minutes before trying to remove. It will be easier to remove and much less painful.

I cut off the surface (about 1/16th") of my fingertip in the kitchen. After a bit of time, we had cleaned the wound, and gotten it to stop bleeding for the most part (still oozed a little). We coated the area with Neosporin type ointment and put on a Band-aid type bandage. When I went to remove the bandage to clean and check the wound today, the pad of the bandage was firmly stuck to the new scab. I soaked it in warm water and epsom salts for over an hour, but it is still stuck firmly. I cut off what I could of the bandage. Does anyone have a way to un-stick the bandage? Thanks for any help.

Answers

Good question. I assume the bandage was on for several days? Could your skin have grown to the bandage? If that's the case you better go to your doctor to have it removed. ALSO, it's wise to keep "quick stop" in your medicine cab. It's a powder that grooming shops use when they cut the "quick" while cutting dogs nails. It instantly stops the bleeding and doesn't hurt the dog. Buy it at your local pet supply store. Good luck.

Thanks for the info on QuickStop; I will be sure to pick some up. The bandage had only been on for less than a day but the scab had set and to pull it off would have reopened the wound. At this point the bandage has been trimmed away as much as possible and the edges are loose. The center is stuck just to the scab and I have been putting antibiotic cream all around and under the edges and there are no signs of infection. Asked a pharmacist and he said if it is not stuck to skin that it will come off with the scab eventually. Thank you again.

After soaking the bandage and wound daily or every other day for about a week the bandage, which had been trimmed away as much as possible, floated off in the soak (alternated epsom salt bath and peroxide bath). The wound also looked great after 8 days and had some new skin totally covering it. Skin was pink and still very sensitive but is healing very well.