Removing an Oil Stain from Cotton Clothing

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

How long has the oil stain been on the pants? If it is a fresh stain, soak them in some cool water and 1-2 scoops of Oxyclean. You can buy the generic brand of Oxyclean in the dollar stores. What type of oil stain is it, cooking oil or fuel oil? Either way try soaking them for several hours.

If you can't get an veg oil stain out of a cotton shirt or pants soak the item in vegetable oil. It works great for my colored t-shirts and pants. It darkens the color and stains the whole garment. Just wash twice in warm water. The cotton fibers absorb the oil and the item will last longer. After washing twice there is no oily feel.

I'm bad about spattering cooking oil on my t-shirts when I cook. I keep a shaker of baby powder by the washer, and i sprinkle the stain with powder and let it sit for a while (day or 2) before washing.

Shake the powder off before washing, may need to treat again. Last time I sprayed with spray and wash then put powder on it and it worked very well. I wonder if kitty litter would work? They say to sprinkle it on oil stains in your driveway, might try that.

And if none of that works, try Lestoil. It took car door grease off my white raincoat and I was very impressed. Let it sit a bit before washing.

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

Try talcum powder, put on spot and brush off; may have to do several times.