Repairing Cracks in Fine China

Category Dishes
Fine china is very expensive to replace and often is a family heirloom. While the repaired piece may never be as strong again, there are methods to repair these cracks. This is a guide about repairing cracks in fine china.

Very good tip for a cracked dish. If a cracked dish is heated for 45 minutes in sweet milk, the crack will be so welded together that it will hardly be visible, and will be strong it will stand the same usage as before.

By Jan E from Suring, WI

Repair fine cracks in china plates and cups by boiling them in milk. The milk reacts with the kaolin in china and closes the crack.

Place the plate in a pan, cover it with milk (fresh or reconstituted powered milk) bring milk a boil, cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes.

I have not tried this myself because I do not have any fine china but if anyone else is interested and would like to try it let me know if it works.

I do have an old porcelain tea pot that has some fine cracks in it and plan to try it on this. The tea pot is very large and will require a large pot and a lot of milk for me to do this, not to mention the tea pot is about 45 years old, so wish me luck.

Source: This tip came from my AT&T home page listed under ordinary object, super uses: by Aishia Sultan.