Repairing Shredding Fabric Trim on a Vintage Sofa?

I have a beautiful sofa from the mid-1920s that has the original velvet upholstery on it. There are the expected areas where some of the nap has been rubbed off and that's not a worry to me. However, at the seat back, the trim is shredding and pulling away from the wood frame. It was originally fastened to the frame with small rounded head nails. When I first noticed it, I tried to repair it with tiny brads, but the fabric trim is so fragile, it just shredded and pulled away from the frame again. Any ideas as to how I can fix it before it gets worse?

By Elise R.

I think I would try some hot glue, and then quickly pull the fabric up where it belongs. It will undoubtedly strengthen the fabric, too.

You probably don't want to hear this but when it looks like that, I would say it is time to get it recovered. I would not put any work into it because it looks so thin, it will just split anyway.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasFebruary 1, 2013
🌻
👒
🐛
Generated 2021-04-10 06:59:30 in 937 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-Shredding-Fabric-Trim-on-a-Vintage-Sofa.html