Repairing a Curb Find Painting

I found a painting on the street. The frame was dirty and there was a tear in the canvas.

Total Time: 1 1/2 hours, plus paint drying time.

1. First, I used Guardsman furniture polish, a rag, and an old toothbrush to brush away the dirt. The picture shows one side that was done and the other side that was not done.
  2. Then, since the torn part of the canvas was in the sky portion of the painting, I used some blue painter's tape in the back.
  3. I used ceiling white paint to dab over the hole until I filled it.
  4. I then mixed some blue and green food coloring into the white paint to get close to the color.
  5. Using a brush I applied some of the tinted paint to the repair spot.
  6. Finally, I took a wet rag and feathered out the paint. I now have artwork where I had a bare wall, and I saved the painting from the landfill.

I would have saved it too! Very beautiful. I love ship paintings. Thank you for sharing!