Repairing a Fisher Price Record Player

Category Other
Sometimes repairing an old record player is as simple as replacing the needle. This is a guide about repairing a Fisher Price record player.

I found one of the old Fisher Price Record Players (see picture) at a yardsale and bought it (hard to find those nowadays!) Anyway, I plugged it in and tried it with one of my old children's records and when you put the needle on the record, it just sits there, it won't get in the "groove" like it's supposed to and play the record, it will either just sit there or slide right off, I thought I could hear some sound in the speaker but it's distorted and low - even with the volume at max. Anyway, my question is: do you think it's the needle that's bad or something else? What should I do with it? (I don't want to throw it out if I don't have to.) Thank you!

Stacey from Orem, UT

Answers

You need a new needle. Google record player needles. They are still available and so worth it! I just love my record player and so enjoy playing my old records!

By texasdarling (Guest Post)

We use to tape pennies on top of it to weigh the needle down. A new needle is the way to go though.

By Milenda (Guest Post)

I have one too! My son had a blast when he found it the other day and put on a Star Wars instrumental record I still had. He thought he was in the fast track listening to it. ;p
Mine was the same when I bought it and yes it was the needle that needed replacing. I found a new one at Radio Shack. You can look in the yellow pages under record to see if there are any repair places near you that may have needles as well.

By marcus (Guest Post)

astatic 81tx needles