Finding the Value of a Capehart Record Player?

Category Miscellaneous
Capehart record players date back before the Depression and forward several decades. The value of any individual player will depend on age, condition, and rarity. This is a page about finding the value of a Capehart record player.

I'd like to know the real value of this Capehart, model 111M2FM, S/N 18660E radio/phonograph. It was built in 1940-41 by Farnsworth Radio and Television. It plays 10 or 12 (I forget) 78s and plays both sides of the records. I need to let it go as we are downsizing. It is heavy. It works and sounds great, just needs a little TLC and a loving home. If you look it up on the internet you will see all of its features. It is located in South Jersey near South Philadelphia.

Answers

Best Answer

On ebay there is one offered at $599.00 or best offer on a vintage record player with radio.

Best Answer

I think you should go to this website and see what they have to say about the stereo and the prices they are. myvintagetv.com/.../capehart.htm. This will give you a good history about the unit you want to sell. After understanding this it will be a lot easier to price this unit for sale. They were quite expensive when they were first sold so I believe from the condition of yours you should be able to ask around $650-800.

I think selling this oneilne will not work so well for you and you should think about offering this at an Antique Radio or Jukebox forum. People are interested in collectables like this. You can also check an auction house in your area and see what they would start the auction at and maybe you can sell it there and receive a much better value for this than selling it online.

I have a Capehart record player/8 track/Am/FM radio/microphone system. Can someone please tell me how much this can be worth? It doesn't have a date on it, but the model # is 42k5r/r. The record player works. The radio works. Speakers sound like they are in great condition. I just don't have any 8 tracks to test the 8 track player.

We think it's from the 1950s and we discovered it in my aunt's basement when we were cleaning it out.

Answers

I found what looks like an exact match for yours that sold for $40 on offer up in Tacoma Washington 3 years ago:

So the value hasn't changed much on these so that is probably what it is worth in Tacoma (and most other places) today.

offerup.com/.../

Now if you are in a place where the demand is high, you may fetch more for yours. I would start asking more, and take best offer.

Trying to sell it online will be a nightmare, so find a reliable vintage shop to take it on consignment or you could try Facebook marketplace if you don't mind people coming to your house. SAFETY FIRST WITH THIS ONE!

Something to think about, is sometimes these pieces do better selling when disassembled where you sell off all the parts vs. the whole.

Sometimes the turntable arm or motor will fetch more than $40 on its on. It would have to work in order for this to sell.

Post back what you decide! Neat find!!!

A similar one by the Emerson company sold for $40 on eBay

Hi,

I agree with the $40.00 price and I have seen several of these going for that price. You could, however, add some records with this, and possibly get a higher price.

Blessings,

---Robyn

Thank you for taking the time to help me come up with a price. We live in Portland Oregon so not too far from Tacoma.
Sounds like it may be around $40. Ive already been selling things on Facebook marketplace so Ill just add It.
When I sell it Ill let you know how much it went for. Thank you again!

Looking forward to getting the new market value!! Start a little higher and then take best offer!! Best wishes for a great sale!

In nice working condition, this type combo is bringing more money in my area (Florida) so don't price it too low.

Of course, the biggest criteria is - does everything work and what about the sound?

The tubes alone may be worth almost that much and some working parts can be sold on eBay (since that reaches a much larger audience).
Since you are already placing things up for sale I feel sure you know that it is always best to start higher and lower it if no one shows an interest.
If this is working, I would definitely start it at $100 and lower it in increments.

The link that Pghgirl shows may not be exactly like yours (the record player drawer looks larger?) but probably just another year model. Their description states there are problems with theirs and it is not in good working order so that may also have lowered the value.

How can I find out the value of our Capehart stereo? Model#KMTC403/13Y
SERIAL#3729024
ORD - 8 - D19
CO/DV/ST- CAAK

Answers

I saw a similar one on eBay with an asking price of $280.

These are neat old pieces and where I am they have not held their value like some of the old stereos.

I can't find any sold on eBay or listed at the moment--that would be the ideal location to find a SOLD one there. That would be today's ACTUAL MARKET value.

There was one sold in 2015 at another online auction site (see link below). If this is an exact match to yours, which I think it is but my memory fails me and I can't read the numbers in the picture..I am going by look, and they give you the sold value that auction, I am willing to be the value will be almost the same today, as my understanding is there has been little if any appreciation in values for the pieces over the past 10 years (I am speaking for where I am so that may be different where you are).

wolfeauctionrealty.hibid.com/.../

That all said, remember, buying and selling cool collectibles is all about supply and demand, so if the supply is low and the demand is high, you may fetch much better price than when the supply is high and the demand low.

Please post back if the place shares the sold value!! I am curious to see if the trends I see in my town match other places!

Thanks for sharing!!

Probably a nice system but without pictures and a better description it will be difficult for anyone to help you with any real information or current value.
Pghgirl does have knowledge of some of these but she may be the only one.

• This sort of item is always interesting as doing research we find out a lot that is actually new to us and helps us answer questions if someone else (in the future) should ask questions along the same lines.
  • Very few people who list items for sale have all of the model and serial numbers so research on value cannot go very far without pictures.
  • Questions: Is your system the large console model? Does it have 8-Track? What name is on the turntable unit (they were many times another brand)? What type of wood - real wood/particle board/veneer? What type of stain - light/dark)? Does any or all of it work? How are the speakers? Needles?
  • Provenance? Any information on age?
  • Overall condition? Where (city) is it located as very few people would ever pay the high cost of shipping a unit like this.
  • A lot of questions but this the information that a potential buyer would want to know and any good listing will have most of this information.
  • From what I have read it is probably from the 60/70s and it seems that collectors do not think very highly of the 70 and later models as new owners had lowered the quality of the complete system and was relying on the previous good name for sales.
  • Some comments:
  • "Note that at one time Capehart was one of the premier radio manufacturers in the USA, building very expensive high-fidelity sets. This was in the thirties and forties. As so often happens, the product line cheapened over time and the name was bought and sold. By the seventies it was just a once-proud nameplate being used to peddle stereos that were good but not great."
  • here is a link to a nice system that sold in 2015 for $26. That is not a good value but it does show what can happen in an auction.
  • www.ebth.com/.../2535514-1970s-capehart-stereo-console
  • Here is one that has been for sale a while (at a shop) and the asking price is $699 (1960s system). You might send your question to their email address for information about your set.
  • www.facebook.com/.../
  • Here is a system from 2015 that was listed on eBay and the seller kept reducing the price but did not sell even at $40.
  • www.ebay.com/.../261859861999?nma=true&si=t2Ur5guS5SsywC7M7B...
  • Here is another link that has an email address and they may answer your question.
  • antiqueradio.org/contact.htm
  • Sorry, I wish I had some idea as to what your system looks like or the components but maybe you can add/post pictures and information to your question.

these will go between $250 and $350, depending on the area

My step dad won't let us get rid of his mother's old record player because he swears it's valuable. (But he won't store it at his own house.) We don't have room to store things we have no use for.

Is it actually valuable?
There's a serial number on the back.
What do you guys think it's worth?

I have a Capehart record player that I have had for a few years now. I can't find my model or that much about the year that this player seems to be made. Any help with anything to do with the history of the model and value would be great.
The serial number: C 3834646
Model number: KMT 229B/37CA
Chassis number: 20X37CA
Order number: 8-16
Site number: CAAK

Answers

Here is a pretty detailed article about vintage Capehearts:myvintagetv.com/.../capehart.htm

I have been on this website many times looking for my record player these are much older than mine. Mine is made of the fake plastic wood siding and fake chrome plastic front. I think it was made between the 1960s and the mid to late 1970s. If that helps at all

I was curious how much my old Capehart record player may be worth. Help?

How much is my vintage stereo worth? It is a Capeart model number 42K5/1P serial number A2529665, with an AM/FM radio, stereo phonograph, and 8 track tape player.

Answers

This one is asking $280. www.ebay.com/.../223070150000

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousApril 25, 2018
📓
🌻
🐛
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Caphart-Record-Player.html