Repairing a Home Air Conditioner

If you have the skills or the desire to learn some new skills, you may be able to repair your own air conditioner and save some money as well. This is a guide about repairing a home air conditioner.

My AC stopped working. I replaced the filter and am still getting no cool air. Is there any way to repair it without having to pay so much money? I am in the process of selling my house as is, but need air. I live in Columbia South Carolina. It is too hot to sit in a hot house.

Answers

You could try putting freon in it. That would be the cheapest way to fix it. The worst case scenario is that the compressor is gone, and that is expensive. In a pinch you can go to sleep in a wet t shirt, or have a cold cloth around your neck during the day.

Is it a central unit or a window unit? If its central, it might be a safety switch at the top or the bottom of the unit. That switch sometimes gets activated when changing the filter out.

You could call some companies nearby if they offer a free inspection and hopefully you come across someone honest.

Our water heater went out and a honest company told us all we needed to do was clean it and it'll work again. Whereas another company told us we needed a new one ASAP. We cleaned the water heater where the flames are and it works like a charm again!

Fix air conditioner.

• Make sure it is properly tilted and the water is running out.
  • Also make sure you have a proper air flow.
  • Also clean the evaporator coils with soap and water.
  • Make sure the fan motor moves easily and check for damaged blades.
  • If they do not then they need to be changed.

This question came to my mind after seeing my brother's air conditioning unit. From what he tells me, his son and a couple of his friends were throwing some pebbles at it. Because of that, it damaged parts of the fan and that was what got me worried. I think he would be more worried because it seems like he might either need to replace the fan or just do a new air conditioning installation because the unit is hardly working now. How much damage would a chipped fan do if it were to be ignored?

Answers

By the sounds of this the fan isn't the only thing the kids damaged with the pebbles.

1. Stop using the unit now so you don't do further damage to the motor.
  2. Find the make and model of your unit and order a replacement fan.
  3. Most fans are straightforward to replace and it sounds like your son could replace his fan himself.
  4. When he opens the unit he must look for any pebbles or pieces of the fan blade left inside the unit.
  5. These pieces can get lodged in the motor and cause further damage to the unit.
  6. I would suggest taking the unit apart first and inspecting the inside of the unit for other damage. Look for the small rocks and pieces of the fan that has broken off.
  7. Determine if replace the fan alone will fix this problem. If not check to see how much a new compressor motor and fan will cost.
  8. If the cost is the same as a new unit I would suggest he replace this unit.

My AC unit compressor is not switching on. It might be failure of a capacitor or not. Any suggestions?

By Vijay from Hyderabad

Answers

A.c.'s and furnaces are not something for a person to fool with unless you are qualified. About 85% of air conditioner and furnace problems are from people not maintaining them once a year. It takes more than just changing the filter monthly to maintain these appliances. You should have both tuned up once a year. It's no different than changing the oil in your car and maintaining your vehicle. Call a professional. The average cost of maintaining these appliances is a lot less than replacing them or paying for an expensive repair. Most companies have sales in the Spring and Fall for maintenance. Check with your better business bureau and hire a reputable company to do this.