Repairing a Leaky Water Hose

Category Tools
Before you throw away that hose, there are a few ways you can fix that leak. This guide is about repairing a leaky water hose.

Tips on repairing a leaky garden hose.

Silicone Caulk and Tape

Get hose completely dry. If hole is tiny, fill it with rubber cement, If large, use silicone caulk. When the cement has dried, wrap the area starting about an inch from the hole with black plastic tape.

By Alobarbear

Use Copper Tubing and Clamps

If the hose is large enough inside, (like 5/8") cut it through the leak, place a piece of copper tubing inside and use hose clamps on each end of the cut. I've had one fixed like that for over 20 years. It is a good rubber hose.

By Siris

Hose Menders

You can get all size hose menders at any stores that carry gardening supplies; Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You just need to know whether you have 1/4",1/2".5/8",3/4" hose. They are very cheap.

All you have to do is cut the bad part out, insert the right size hose connector and tighten. I usually put a little vegetable oil around the insert to make it slide in easier. I also keep a plastic shoe box full of all size connectors, male and female ends for the end of the hoses, plumber's tape to snug up threads, rubber O rings, Y connectors with shut offs, if you want to run more than one hose. They also carry connectors so you can attach additional hoses to make them longer.

Buy Water timers when they are on sale. Some have batteries so they automatically go on and off when you want. With the other type, you just turn timer as to how long you want to water and they go off automatically. The battery ones are great, especially when you go on vacations as the ground still get watered.

By Dee

Create a temporary seal for a water hose or small air hose leak, with the labels from some of the plastic drink bottles. The label will come off, if you crush the bottle into itself. Then slip the label sleeve over the leaking water hose, or air hose and apply heat using a hair dryer. It will shrink to the shape of the hose giving it a temporary fix, if you cannot repair it right away.

Source: This came from a Japanese Show called "The Ito Family Dining Table" I have personally tried it, and it has worked. The problem is finding labels that aren't stuck on with super glue.

By Tim from Science Hill, KY

My hose leaks were it attaches to the sprayer. I have tried new washers and different hoses. I have 2 different sprayers and they both leak. Do hose washers come in different sizes? Could I wrap the male part with plumbers Teflon tape? I appreciate all answers Thank you.

By sassy

Answers

I did use the plumbers tape and it worked great! No leak.