Repairing a Leather Chair

Category Repair
There are simple ways to repair your leather furniture when it gets worn out. This guide contains tips for repairing a leather chair.

My husband had radiation therapy on his head. He sat in the leather chair and most of the leather were his head rested is gone, just cloth remains. What can I do to fix this?

Answers

Best Answer

I work with a group of neighborhood ladies that volunteer to help "needy" neighbor and we have seen similar things.

We repaired one chair headrest area (soiled) with a tapestry place mat. We tacked one long end to the top back of the chair and let the place mat hang over the front soiled area - this fit perfectly.

You may not be able to do this - according to the style chair, etc - but we really liked it because it was inexpensive (thrift store purchase) and could be replaced when necessary.

Best Answer

I like the idea of the cloth hanging over to replace the leather, however, you could find a similar looking leather on a pocketbook or soft leather luggage in a thrift store, and glue it on to the entire head area from side to side. There are so many types of glue available that I'm sure there is one for leather on leather. Good luck with making the chair better for your husband. It's a caring thing to do.

I have an expensive leather desk chair that has badly worn areas on the ends of the arms. Is there some sort of patch I could make to glue over it?

By Rae Ann

Answers

Best Answer

There are leather patch kits available at upholstery stores. However, sometimes it's just easier to make a cover for it, either out of leather, fabric, or crochet. Hope that helps.