Repairing a Pfaff Sewing Machine?

I have a Pfaff 130 and articulating lamp. I am missing the screws that hold the bakelite shade to the base. Where can I buy some?

Answers

Best Answer

I do not know if you tried the Pfaff website or if you contacted a local Pfaff dealer:

www.pfaff.com/.../Support

I can almost guarantee that if you ask your question on this website someone will have them or know where to get them.
Sometimes these specialty items can only be found by true collectors.

www.quiltingboard.com/.../

I believe your machine was made in 1932 so you may also be able to get help from this group but you will have to join. You can join the free membership by following instructions on this page.

ismacs.net/digest.html

Here is another good forum to check out.
Most likely you will only find the genuine screw by someone on one of these sites helping you.

sewing.patternreview.com/.../104834

Answer this Question

28 More Questions

I began sewing this morning when it seemed the needle would not lift and was in the bobbin casing. I checked for jammed thread/material, etc. nothing.
I unscrewed the needle and removed it gently in reverse.

Still I am not able to retract the needle holder, it sounds like it is laboring.

Answers

Best Answer

You may have a jammed or broken gear. Try taking off the outer cover and oiling the inside. If that doesnt work you should bring it in for servicing.

Best Answer

A lot of times when this happens the needle gets bent and that is why it got stuck in the first place. You could also have an issue with the way the bobbin is inside the machine or there is something blocking this. By using a screwdriver it is possible to remove the plate under the needle to see if you can clean out the blockage and get it to move again.

Answer this Question

I have a Pfaff 2140 that has screen issues. When I plug the machine in and power it on the screen will not display anything and will have a rhythmic ticking noise along with a slight flash from screen. I had done some online searching and found that it could be a capacitor issue, upon finding and replacing what I believed to be the bad capacitor I am still having this issue.

If anyone has answers or has fixed this issue before I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Answers

Best Answer

If the machine still has an issue it could be due to the motherboard not working correctly. Capacitor issues can cause problems with the motherboard or even the monitor display. The new electronic sewing machine are a bit more difficult to troubleshoot and repair on your own. You should try and find a repair shop in your area and have this looked at.

Answer this Question

How do I open the housing of a Pfaff 7550 to clean the thread tension mechanism?

Answers

Best Answer

It is possible to do this on your own and it can be a bit difficult to do it. This mechanism is made to adjust the thread tension by turning the knob on the front. if you take this apart and can not get it back together correctly you will need to buy a new one. There should be some instruction in the book or I would recommend that you take this to a sewing machine shop to have it done.

Answer this Question

A very small screw has dropped out of the needle clamp and I am not sure where it goes. Certainly the needle does not stay put without it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

My machine is a 1209, Denise, and possibly not much different than yours. I see 4 small screws in and around the needle: 2 to the right, 1 behind and the fourth directly above the last. The only one you might have trouble seeing is the one directly behind the needle as the face of it can only be seen when you're on the other, non-sewing side of the machine. Keep looking for the place from where the screw fell and - of course - if all else fails, take it in for service.

Answer this Question

I have a Pfaff 360. When cleaning it the position finger spring fell out. I have the instruction manual, I have the repair manual, and I have the supplemental repair manual, but I cannot find this part listed anywhere (it fell out when I was using the brush to clean out under the needle plate.

Does anyone know where this goes? I found the part number: Pfaff #91-060197-15, but no reference on how to put it back in the machine. Can anyone please help or tell me what manual I need to buy to fix this?

Answers

Best Answer

I found this video that seems to show exactly how to do this on a Pfaff machine. I have watched the video and it was not completely apparent to me how to do this or where that mysterious piece comes into play, but I think it's at the very beginning of the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MB7pBQVfaU

"It's kind of tricky", the technician says. LOL! This is why I would rather take my machine to a repairperson than attempt it myself

best of luck! I would be curious to know if you succeed

Answer this Question

I have a Pffaf p80 that has been jamming the material and making a bundle of thread in the bobbin. It is only the upper thread, like it is not picking the upper one.

Answers

Best Answer

This is what I did , I pushed the blade all of the way to the left, problem solved. Now the machine is embroidering like a queen.

Answer this Question

The 360 has not been used for several years and needed cleaning and oiling. Before cleaning and oiling the machine worked, by hand, in forward nd reverse with no apparent problems. After cleaning and oiling with most, not all, stitch changes, etc. it seemed to work OK. However, at the respective adjusters the bobbin would not sync with the needle and in the forward direction struck the bobbin holder while working in the reverse direction.

After further cleaning and oiling other newly discovered oil points the bobbin holder rotated freely in the stitch holder. The bobbin is placed in its case outside the machine and that case is placed into another holder on the shuttle shaft. It is the bobbin holder that rotates freely on the shaft without an ability to sync with the needle as it attempts to descend into the bobbin thread area striking the holder outside the proper slot area. At no time does the bobbin holder in the other case appear to be held in a synchronized position. By hand it just continues to rotate freely no matter the position of the needle holder (without the needle in the machine).

The 362 machine had been left exposed in a closet of an ocean area home for many, many years and was, in the beginning, completely locked up. After a preliminary cleaning and oiling it would operate by hand, with difficulty, with all moving parts, needle, bobbin housing, etc. working in both forward and reverse. As it was still very stiff further cleaning was done with additional oil points being dealt with. After reaching the point of being easily operated by hand a needle was installed only to find it to have the same problem.

No thread, or fluff, appears visible in any of the bobbin areas, yet two different machines that were only cleaned and oiled appear to have the same failure.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Pictures of both machines can be provided if that would help. BTW the 360 was purchased in 1960 and the 362 was purchased in 1965. My mom had an earlier similar model Pfaff purchased in the early 50s that she sewed my dad's welding leathers on, as well as, fine fabrics for dresses, etc. It's only failure was a fiber gear, that Pfaff replaced in about 1955 at no charge. It swelled under extended use jamming the machine causing her no end of distress when sewing the leather material. They are very tough machines.

Answers

Best Answer

You really need to take this machine into a repair tech with experience on vintage Pfaffs. It sounds to me the timing is off and possibly a few gears have deteriorated.

Neither (and I could be wrong about either!) are home fixes. Re-timing a high-end machine like a Pfaff is best done by someone who has invested the time and money in training. I do repair-refurb on Singer and a few other vintage machine brands but wouldn't touch a Pfaff as these are very different no matter how similar they look to a Singer (not much really:). I also won't try working on a computerised model - I don't have the money for training and manuals and wouldn't dream of 'learning' on someone's sewing machine!

RE what you will be charged...Service manuals cost in the high three digit figures, and tools to work on vintage electrics are costly as well (but not as costly as the manuals, ouchie!). To give you an example, I paid over $700USD for a Singer (500series) manual back in the late 90s. Pfaff service manuals are considerably more pricey which is why you should expect to be given an estimate that may well make your eyes water. To be clear - a low repair estimate should be viewed with suspicion as Pfaffs like you own are still considered high-end and working on one requires such specialised knowledge the cost should be eye-watering if done by a tech who knows what he/she is doing.

I cannot emphasis strongly enough the need to take these machines to a pro - your problem, while it does sound very much like a timing problem, may be instead a minuscule 'burr' of rust that you can't see at home and likely wouldn't know where to look for any road.

I own so many vintage machines my husband wants me to sell them all or open a museum:) You have two very desirable machines well worth the cost of having them restored to sewing functionality, and I have to now confess to wishing you'd posted snaps, and to a HUGE machine envy, you lucky Pfaff owner, you!

Answer this Question

I have a Pfaff 1020 machine and while I was hemming some jeans my presser foot fell off and won't reattach. Usually I can just pop it back into place and I assumed it was magnetic.

I'm not quite sure what happened. If anyone could help me that would be great!

Answers

Best Answer

If it is like the other Pfaff, there is a little claw like thing that holds the feet on, not a magnet....perhaps the foot is bent and it is not lining up with the claws.

I found a video that explains it sort of:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyW3IudkZLA

If you think this is the case, take a pliers and gently adjust in or out so they meet.

Post back with updates!

Answer this Question

I have a PFAFF creative 7570. It was working fine and then the screen stopped working. Any idea what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

Answers

The display is not getting power so the machine is not working. This normally is a problem with the fuse or the display circuit board. You will need to start off with changing out the fuse on the machine and if this is still not working you will need to order a new display circuit board and swap this out. This may need to be taken to a repair shop if you can't do the repairs yourself.

Why don't you ask your question at one or more of the forum sites as this is a popular machine and someone may have an answer.
I did not see this problem in the trouble shooting section of the manual but I did read this somewhere.

"Look for a small turning wheel, just below the green and pink selection knobs, on the front right of your machine. Turn it anticlockwise for a darker image and clockwise for a lighter image."

Here are some links to check out but you may have to join the groups to be able to ask questions.

groups.io/.../29635493

forum.allaboutcircuits.com/.../

www.quiltingboard.com/.../pfaff-repair-problem-t54258.html

www.manualslib.com/.../Pfaff-Creative-Sensation.html#manual

If you have to take it to a repair shop I would contact Michael's or Jo Ann's to see if they can recommend anyone or check Google with your zip code. Sears Service Centers also have repairs for all brands of sewing machines.

Can anyone instruct me on how to get to the motor on the Pfaff Tiptronic 1171 sewing machine so I can replace the carbon brushes?
Thanks.

Answers

This is not your model but it is a rebuild of the Pfaff motor. m.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Q8l1lpLGY

Answer this Question

I think it's the foot pedal, but the local repair service says it's not worth repairing and they won't take it apart. I don't know what to do since they are rather pricey to replace.

Answers

I believe you need to establish that it is indeed the foot petal that is causing the problem before you invest in a new petal.

Answer this Question

I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0. Just last night it stopped working - the fabric wouldn't feed through and the bobbin thread wasn't catching. After some investigation it appears that the upper thread is getting caught on this little metal arm that is called an "upper thread fetcher". Anyone know why? Or how I can fix it?

It seems to otherwise be running normally. When I begin sewing it does grab the bobbin thread, but because the upper thread is catching on this thing it can't advance or feed through and the bobbin thread doesn't come up at all.

The sewing machine isn't able to make any stitches. The needle goes in the fabric, the upper thread goes around the bobbin wheel and gets stuck. I have to cut the thread away from the fabric in order to release it and then remove the bottom plate in order to get to the thread at all.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesDecember 14, 2015
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Pfaff-Sewing-Machine.html