Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose?

I've had a Kenmore 3.9hp canister vacuum for years, which is still in excellent condition, because I'm a bachelor and it doesn't get used much. But there is a growing 1-inch tear at the base of the plastic hose. The hose gets stressed especially at the base when I use the machine. What can I use to patch the rip?

Douglas from CA

Answers

I'd get some bathroom caulking, shoe goo, or some kind of rubber caulk. Clean the surface very well and have it very dry, then apply to the cracked place. Let it dry thoroughly before using. It will be flexible so would probably work.

If all else fails, duct tape can be used but it does look a lot more tacky. Make sure the surface is good and clean before sticking it down and form around the bumps (wires) in the hose.

Susan from ThriftyFun

As my husband used for ours till the motor goes or the whole hose goes- use duct tape. I know it looks tacky but it does get the job done. I have had it one there for about 6 months and it still runs great.

have a good one.

By Deb (Guest Post)

Duct Tape!! I have it on my basement vacumn for years and it's still holding.

Back in my single days and before I could afford a new hose, I used duct tape. Works great. The split will still get bigger and the duct tape will attract dust and dirt. But the nice thing about it is that you can rip off the old nasty duct tape and put on new. Duct tape also comes in a variety of colors at your local Wal-Mart, so you might be able to match the color of the hose.

Home and Garden Repair ToolsMarch 2, 2014
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Torn-Vacuum-Cleaner-Hose-1.html