Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
We need to re-do our RV roof, too many leaks. Anyone out there attempt to do this?
By Annie Davis from KY
These are the basic processes and options to Re-Roof a RV roof or repair most EPDM roofs. We welcome your ideas and solutions too. Also see our Roof Repair Tips page.
Your options are:
1. Remove old roof and replace with a new EPDM.
(most effort, medium price; best if old roof is not well adhered). See RV Roof Replacement Pictorial.
2. Roof over or replace the old roof with new EPDM membrane.
3. Roof Over the old roof with Eternabond RoofSeal
(expensive but less work than new EPDM roofing). Eternabond is not designed for foot traffic. If you have foot traffic, use EPDM faced Seam cover tape. Its less expensive for small repairs too.
4. Repair old roof leaks with Eternabond RoofSeal, or EPDM Seam Cover tape, then coat the roof with and EPDM compatible traffic grade roof coating like Roofmate HT.
NEW: EPDM Roofing Materials and Methods. Here we have the complete process and materials for replacement of your EPDM roof.
Questions? Email email@example.com
EPDM Sample Orders / Systems / Kits
Sample Order Example 1 (10x15 Roof repair)
Sample Order Example 2 (~9 x 30' RV re-roof, w/ac)
Sample Order Example 3 (~9 x 40' RV re-roof, w/ac)
(above fits RV roof area of 8 to 10 feet wide in one piece,
together with vent sealant, and trim/seal for A/C unit & front cab)
These are premium kits with the best products available!
RV Rubber Roof Repair Procedures
1. Scrape away all existing patch materials, caulking and all traces of silicone or silicone caulking.
2. Optional: Remove edge metal which around roof edge. If you do not remove edge metal, you can overlap the outside of the metal with RoofSeal.
3. Clean all dirt and oxidation from roof surface. The exact method depends on roof material and type of contamination or oxidation. If oil or grease are present, remove them FIRST.
For small repairs to EPDM RV use a plastic abrasive kitchen scrubber in repair areas. Scrub until clean then wipe or blow away all particles. This is the best method.
* Stiff Broom or blow off.
* Use 1:3 Bleach/Water or TSP mixture on tough stains & mildew.
* Clean using a stiff broom or scrubber (or power wash if leak free) to remove all loose surface materials. Rinse well.
* Let dry thoroughly.
* For stubborn stains or grease, use ETERNACLEAN together with clean rags
Important: When using Eternabond tape or EPDM Seam Cover, all traces of silicone sealants or waxes much be removed. Remove all silicone surface wax with ETERNACLEAN. Cut out any silicone or unknown caulking. Power wire brush old joints to remove all surface silicones. Re-caulk with M-1 sealant.
Re-Caulk & Repair:
5. With roof penetrations (vents, hatches, etc), you have a choice to remove, or leave on and "flash" around them (good time to upgrade any of these). It simplest to leave them on. Remove ALL old sealant using a putty knife as a scraper. Clean roofing and flashing surfaces as above. Replace any rusty screws with new stainless ones. Put M1 sealant into screw holes before putting in new screws.
7. Optional: After caulk cures, repair or reinforce as needed any damaged seams or high stress areas using EPDM White Coverstrip or Webseal.
Apply Repair / Roofing Materials:
At this point, you can either repair cracks and tears with Eternabond Roofseal THEN coat with primer / Roofmate HT, or do the entire roof with new EPDM roofing membrane, or just patch areas with RoofSeal. Repair and recoating with RoofMate HT popular.
Eternabond RoofSeal White Application Method:
8. Now you can apply RoofSeal White. For large areas, use wide product. and plan your coverage using overlapping strips like wallpaper. Start at the BACK and works towards the FRONT of the roof). OVERLAP each piece to the next about 2 inches.
Tips: Use a 4" roller, not a 2" to roll-in large strips of material. Use 2 people. One to pull the tape tight & straight and to gradually pull backing away AS YOU stick it down by sweeping in gradual circles with you hand as the backing is pulled away. Don't try to pull the whole backing off at once. Watch the Eternabond DVD movie before applying product to see these techniques.
9. Along the base of roof penetrations (vents, hatches etc), put another layer of Eternabond tape which wraps up the edge a couple inches.
10. Put your edge metal back on with new butyl tape sealant and new Stainless fasteners and Sealing Washer. OR use new fasteners, and put M1 sealant over the top of each one. OR put another strip of RoofSeal along the entire metal strip (cover the whole strip, overlapping both sides by 2".
You now have a great looking and long lasting new roof. Good luck.
I would suggest you put in motorhome in your browser. There are many groups out there that have had the experience and can help you decide what to do. Also try RV.
I am 62 and live in an RV park in Reno Nevada. I am on SSDI. My RV is old and the roof leaks. I have a tarp on my roof and the managers are harassing me to repair the roof or get out.
If you are on SSDI I would suggest contacting HUD in your area. HUD normally helps to repair people's homes. Considering the Mobile home is your primary residence, they could offer you some assistance in repairing the roof.
A rooftop RV air conditioner can cause bowing due to water leakage and weight. To repair this damage you will need to dry out the roof if needed, and reinforce it to withstand the unit's weight. This is a guide about solutions for an air conditioner making a travel trailer's roof bow.