Replacing a Zipper Pull

Category Repairing
You don't have to replace the entire zipper just because the pull breaks off. This is a guide about replacing a zipper pull.

If your zipper pull breaks or comes off and you need an emergency replacement, a paperclip will work. Years ago, my down coat zipper pull came off and the only way I was able to get my coat off was to use a paperclip!

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

The pull tab breaking off is one of the most common problems we encounter on our zippers. I was at the office for the whole day and accidentally lost the pull tab on my wallet. It's the only way you can open and close the wallet. I just grabbed a small paper clip and inserted it as my pull tab. It definitely solved my problem.

Is it possible to replace a broken zipper pull without replacing the entire zipper?

By Chrissie from Racine, WI

Answers

I used a heavy paperclip. Can you find one from an old jacket? You should be able to bend it with needle nose pliers.

If it is the pull itself that broke, and the "loop" it was hooked into is still there, you can use a paperclip, a loop of string/cord, a small piece of ball chain, or a lanyard type hook with a decorative pull on it.

However, if the loop on the zipper part is what broke, you won't be able to hook anything on as a pull. Then you will have trouble, and will probably have to replace the zipper.

You can go to a fabric store like Joanne's. They have repair kits or replacement pieces. Ask for help there, if necessary.