Replacing the Center Tube on Cat Scratching Post

I have a homemade 2 ft. carpeted wood scratching post for my cats, but on a whim I bought a cheap cat post with fleece-covered base and top ledge, with a sisal-covered post in between. It is too short (18 inches), but they used it anyway, standing at some distance away so they could stretch on it (cats "love" sisal).

The sisal needs to be replaced, but I really want to replace the cardboard tube post with a longer one. I have the cardboard tube, but I cannot figure out how to get an end cap on it to attach to the wood base and ledge. Either end of the tube will have a threaded rod to screw into the base/perch, but I don't know how to cap the post to screw the rod into it. The store bought one has a plastic cap that is fitted inside the tube, but I don't know how it is attached or where to buy one. Any ideas?

By Kelly H