Rescue Dog Afraid of Owner

I have a Belgian Malanois-Whippet mix. Since I rescued him he is still afraid to let me help him. My dog is still uncertain of me. He looks afraid when I go to pet him sometimes. He is a character. He hates dog food and makes me give him my food or he pouts, literally. He dictates where we walk. I don't mind that though it's his walk. But his frightened disposition when there's no threat is sad. And he wants to kill the mailman. He has been massed 3x for this same aggressive behavior only to certain aggressive type people. He bosses me by using his tail and stepping on my toes. Ugh. He is is close to 12.

Best Answer

He has been abused for many years. It may be very hard for him to trust. When you try to pet him, he may think you are going to hit him. You might want to consider a professional trainer.

Best Answer

This is so sad. The poor dog was so abused by his previous owners he isn't really sure what to do or think right now. As for the mailman this one could be dangerous. If he sees a person in a uniform this could trigger his memories of his previous owner. You're going to have to be patient with him and just keep talking with him. It will be hard and at times you'll be frustrated, but you have to think about the dog and how badly he was treated before he came to live with you.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceFebruary 28, 2018
🎂
🌻
📓