General AdviceLegal

Responsibilities of POA

My sister in law has power of attorney over her mom, and I am the full time care giver of her mother and have been for the past four years. With me being the caregiver does she have to pay to me for caring for her mom 24/7 for four years?

She seldom comes by to see her mom maybe once every four months. She doesn't see her on Mother's Day and comes in Christmas day drops off her mom's gift and leaves, and then tells everyone she does it all by myself, sorry, but she doesn't. I have been and I have proof through hospice that I care for her mom.

By Carrie

I believe Power of Attorney is for legal and financial matters. If you have been caring for your mother-in-law and no financial arrangements were made, I do not think that you have any recourse. If your sister-in-law behaves as you say, it doesn't matter what she says, because anyone who cares enough to be aware of the true situation will know the truth.

And if they are so easily misled by her casual remarks, they are not important enough for their opinions to matter.

I certainly agree with Louise B!!
I do not believe you have any recourse in collecting money from the past but if you feel you should be paid for the time you spend with your "friend" then you should ask about payment for future care.

You do not state what type of care or the amount of time spent so we really have no way to see the "full" picture. You mentioned Hospice could verify your time. How long has your friend been in Hospice care? Doesn't Hospice care consist of "end of life" care? I know there are people who live in Hospice care for a long time but I have never heard of 4 years but then I am not an expert in those situations. I do know the care they receive is usually very good but everyone needs loving attention.

I hope you will continue to give the care you have given in the past and ignore any remarks made by other people.

This link provides some helpful information and you might be able to contact the manager of this site to inquire further legal advice for your particular set of circumstances.

http://www.myag  n-for-caregivers