Restuffing a Pillow

Category Miscellaneous
Over time a throw pillow can become lumpy or unfluffy. It can be opened, emptied, washed and refilled with new stuffing. Restuffing a pillow can save you money.

My Laurel Burch cat pillow was starting to get really lumpy. I didn't want to throw it out, so I decided to repair it. I bought a replacement fiberfill pillow form at JoAnn Fabrics using a 40% off coupon and got to work.

First I needed to open up the seam and remove the lumpy stuffing. Using a seam ripper, I only opened it large enough to remove the old filling and insert the new pillow form. As I chose to use a form rather than loose filling the opening needed to be a bit larger.

Then I simply pulled out the old stuffing.

Note: I discarded the used stuffing as it was too broken up and did not seem like it would be useful for a future project. If you are going to be doing some small projects or one where you will be packing the stuffing in tightly you might be able to reuse some of the filling.

Next I mushed up the fiberfill form and pushed it into the pillow cover. Shake and work the form into place.

Finally using a heavy thread (embroidery floss would work well) and a larger needle I stitched it closed.

All done. Now I should get another 8 or 9 years of enjoyment of my newly repaired throw pillow.

I wanted a smaller pillow that adjusted more to me. I cut my pillow into two pieces. Then I pulled out the stuffing. Once the filling was out, I cut and pulled apart the filling into little poufs about the size of my hand.

I put these poufs back in the pillow.

I have a "body pillow" that has seen better days. I put it at the head of my bed and then place my pillows on top of it. It has been washed several times over the years.

Does anyone know a method to combine down pillows to bring them back to fullness? They have been laundered and fluffed. I think after a number of years they lose feathers. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

By Melinda

Answers

Best Answer

Every so often, I take mine to the dry cleaners. They send them away to be cleaned. As part of the process, I can choose to have them add more feathers.

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousAugust 16, 2019
🎂
🌻
📓