Returning Groceries

We have all returned merchandize to clothing stores, etc. You can also return defective, poor quality, and otherwise unsatisfactory foodstuff to your local market. This is a guide about returning groceries.

In the past two months, I have been counting my calories and watching what I was eating, which alone saved me a ton of money along with an entire percentage of body fat.

However, I still had a bunch of food hanging around the kitchen that, with my new lifestyle, I would never consider eating again. Many of these things were unopened, some were not past their sell by date.

Rather than donating these items (as I instead donate my time and talent to select groups), I returned these items to the grocery store. Sure, I got some funny looks. But hey, in the past month I've returned $20 worth of food and put that money towards purchases that fit within my new lifestyle. That's about 10% of my monthly grocery budget!

My tip is to occasionally clean out your cabinets, and return the stuff you didn't eat, haven't eaten, or probably won't eat.

Shawnna from Boston, MA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I made a mistake of not throughly checking the boxes of tea I purchased today. It looks like someone has tampered with the seals of the boxes and maybe peeked inside? I am sure the tea is still fine, but I do not want to take the risks. I will exchange them for new ones.

Next time, it is best to check items that have seals to make sure they have not been tampered with. This is a safety precaution for our health.

In one of your recent postings, someone wrote:

"Ironically, a few days ago, just after I decided this was a topic that needed discussing, I got down my box of oatmeal. Now this is a cardboard box, but it is sealed with a plastic lid. I have saved it to store my oatmeal, since I have begun to buy my oatmeal in bulk. But have not had a problem with it and have been using it several years. It was full of weevils! It took me a minute to realize that they had not gotten into this container, they couldn't get out!"

This brings up one tip that many don't think about. If you get bad food, call the phone number for the company listed on the box and tell them exactly what you found and what you determined to be true. Almost always, you will get an apology and a coupon for replacement.

I remember one time that I got a very hard (almost tooth-breaking) clump of bunched together chip-material in a bag of tortilla chips. I mailed the bag and the "clump of something" to the address on the bag for the home office of the store.

Not only did I get a letter of apology asking me to go to my local store and get a free replacement bag and four cans of vegetables for my inconvenience, a few weeks letter, UPS delivered a case of assorted products from the actual manufacturer.

By John