ReusingGreen Living

Reuse of Plastic Meat Trays

I've just read the hint of ways to reuse the plastic trays that raw meat come in. What is the difference between washing and reusing plastic bags that held raw meat and plastic containers that held raw meat, and why is one safe and the other not safe? I'm not being smart, I'm just asking, because I reuse them too and am interested. I'd like facts and not just opinions, since opinions have already been given in the past. Please don't recite things such as e-coli is found in raw eat, etc., because those statements simply don't have anything to do with why one method is safer than the other. I'd seriously like an intelligent, scientifically factual argument to wrap my brain around. Thanks.

By Susan

If the plastic meat trays are what I am thinking of, they are top rack safe in the dishwasher. Also plastic bags have a tendency to get wrinkles in them and it might be hard to to get all of the germs out of the creases.

My former mother-in-law used to save and reuse the bags that bread, etc. came in. She would wash and reuse them numerous times. After a few times they would get sticky and gross, and I really hated when she would send something home with us in one of these bags.

I reuse the plastic meat trays but I wash them in the dishwasher, and I don't use them for food items. I keep one in the refrigerator and keep little containers of yogurt, etc. in it. I use them for drawer organizers in dresser drawers, etc.

I don't re-use plastic meat trays, myself. Nor plastic bags that I put meat in. I think the stress of trying to make sure there is no contamination isn't worth it. But to each his own. :)

I use the plastic meat trays for underneath my big size oil jugs. They catch all the oil that seems to dribble from the jug. When they get oily throw it away and use another washed tray. No mess in your cupboard shelf anymore.