Reusing Bath Water

Category Water
Water can be conserved by recycling from the bathtub for cleaning and irrigating. This guide is about reusing bath water.

I take a warm bath every night and I hate wasting the water. I leave it in the tub and add bleach. Then I use this to clean bathroom floors, soak any plastic that has been discolored, freshen mops, sponges, even stained towels. I find I am getting a lot done with this new idea.

By Linda from Rochester, NY

We live in the country and the well water is really bad so we haul all of our water for the house. I keep a small pail in the bathroom and bail the water from the tub into the toilet tank. I also have a small pail in the kitchen in which I catch water when I rinse my hands, etc. and collect it a pail in the bathroom and also use it to flush the toilet. Surprising how much water you sometimes use. People who have easy access to good water don't realize how lucky they are.

For watering plants and your garden, I would use it before the bleach. And the cleaning sounds ok...but the plastics? The last thing I would want to deal with are all the dead skin cells in a bathtub. If they are for eating from, you may want to just soak them overnight in some bleach water.

Hi! Yes, I lived backwoods for years and without plumbing - so we had running water - by foot! It is surprising what most folks take for granted! In the winter we always had a very large stock pot of water on the stove and we had instant washing up water from it (washing dishes or for a basin for personal washup). Then if the watsr wasn't too bad we washed other things with it. (The floor, bleaching out rags, and other wipe downs) until the water was done and we then walked the 'grey' out. I know it is a culture shock, most folks who have never had anything but running hot and cold water at their disposal are perplexed, confused, or disgusted! I really thank God for running water and things like the washer/dryer every time I use them too! (I am in my early fourties!)

I can't imagine having to do these things you folks are doing. Sounds like wagon train days to me and I know that it would be difficult for us to do. I'm all for saving water and we always turn it off when we brush our teeth, etc., but using bath water for anything except the yard? I don't think so. Too much skin and soap......ugh. Guess I'm one of those listed in another post who feels disgusted by that.