Rose Pistachio Rice Pudding

This is a beautiful rice pudding that's spiked with pistachios, rose water, and cardamom, and then elegantly decorated on top. It's a recipe we've held in our family for decades. I hope you try it out. :)

You can get edible dried rose pedals in many international shops, as well as on Amazon. If you can only get a hold of full-sized dried pedals, they can easily be crushed, and you can use either.

Total Time: 45 minutes

1. Put milk and parboiled rice in a pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
  2. Smash cardamom pods a bit to break open and drop into pot.
  3. Reduce heat to medium and keep at a simmer. Stir mixture often, until milk has reduced by one-third, about 20 minutes.
  4. Add sugar and rose water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, a couple minutes. Discard cardamom pods.
  5. Chop the pistachios into small slivers. Stir half of them into the pudding and reserve the rest to decorate the top.
  6. Pour into a large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. To serve, sprinkle edges with rose petals, then remaining pistachio, then sprinkle middle with ground cardamom powder. Pictured here are ground rose petals and full petals. Use either one.

Very nicely presented!

Thank you! It's fun to do with such colours and shapes :)

This recipe just has to raise everyone's curiosity about how will it taste??
Sounds good to me but I'm already a rice pudding fan so I'll have to put some of these ingredients on my shopping list for later.
Sounds like a great holiday treat.

It looks, smells, and tastes like you're in an edible garden. I just love it. Since I'd be biased, I'm going to ask my friend who just had this for the first time and claims it's now his absolute favourite dessert, to write a review here to help you ;)

Here is the review of this pudding from my dear friend who is new to this flavour. I love this write-up!

"Until visiting your parents for the first time, Id never had rice pudding. But after my first taste of this, Ive been chasing down the flavor. With the subtle, initial whiff of the rose petals, and the overall texture, Ive just not been able to match the flavor anywhere else. Its just simple and lovely!"

That's sure beautiful and looks tasty, and what a nice way to kick up the flavor of rice pudding. Thank you for this too! :)

Oh you're so welcome!!! I hope you try it sometime. It's definitely comforting :)

Well, you know that I'm going to make it but I just hope your friend's description will encourage others to try it because I have found (from past dinners) that people seem to be skeptical of trying rice pudding.

Most like it but maybe its the "rice" in the name that turns some off when thinking of a dessert??

We love your recipes!!!

Thanks Betty! In all honesty, I never liked rice pudding as a child because of that: it was just rice to me! As I got older, I was wowed by how such a boring grain could turn into a luxurious treat :)

Shame on you - How could you not like anything YOUR mother placed on the table!
I do know what you mean as it seems that sometimes our taste bubs take longer to mature than we do (girls anyway).
Bottom line - this is a dish deserving of a king's table.