Rose and Vanilla Marble Cake
Spring is just around the corner! Time for fresh baking to add some fun to an afternoon of tea and a visit with friends. This cake is gluten free, so no reason to feel guilty. The cake is lightly decorated, so even the topping will keep you guilt-free while having fun with your friends.
Total Time: 4 hours, including time to cool off and decorate
Yield: one cake
- 5 eggs
- 375 ml light brown sugar
- 125 ml cooking oil
- 185 ml boiled water
- 500 ml gluten free self-raising cake flour
- 15 ml powdered milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 10 ml rose water
- 4 drops red food coloring
- non-stick cooking spray
- To decorate: paper doily and icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 356º F.
- Use an electric mixer to mix the eggs and sugar together. Keep mixing until the sugar has been dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix the oil and boiled water together.
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients and the oil-and-water mixture to the egg mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the batter evenly into two separate bowls. Add vanilla essence to the one bowl and mix it into the batter. Add rose water and red food coloring to the second bowl and mix it thoroughly.
- Lightly grease a 22x7cm cake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Take 2 spoons and use them to alternatively add spoonfuls of rose and vanilla cake mixes into the tin. Take a skewer and swirl it around the mixture a few times to create a marbled effect.
- Tap the bottom of the cake tin on your work surface a few times to allow air bubbles to pop.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes or until a test skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Allow the cake to cool off before decorating.
- To decorate, put a paper doily flat on the surface of the cake. Gently sift icing sugar over the doily, and around the outer edges of the doily. Carefully lift the doily and voila!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!