Rottweiler Breed Information and Photos

Category Rottweiler
The independent and strong-willed nature of these dogs require firm training starting at an early age. Although this breed is very loyal to family, it should always be supervised when around small children. This guide contains Rottweiler breed information and photos.

Breed Description: Rottweilers are large, powerful dogs with a substantial build and equally great endurance and agility. They have a calm, self-assured expression and give the impression of great power, which they easily back up with their powerfully muscular bodies. Their devotion to family and strong territorial instinct makes them excellent guard dogs. Rottweilers are a loyal dog breed that when trained and handled properly, make good protectors and companions for the family.

Group: Working group.

Purpose of Breed: Driving cattle, guard dog

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Dogs range from 24 inches to 27 inches and 95 to 135 pounds, and bitches range from 22 inches to 25 inches and 80 to 100 pounds.

Color(s): Typically black with well-defined tan or deep brown markings.

Coat Type: Rottweilers have a course, flat thick outer coat of medium length and an undercoat of fine hair.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder and requires brushing only once or twice a week to maintain its sleek coat. Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Rottweilers are an intelligent dog that needs frequent exercise and mental challenges to maintain their health and well-being. These dogs are very territorial and bred to be suspicious of strangers. They cannot discern between "brother or burglar," and should not be kept in a fenced area near foot traffic.

Temperament: The Rottweiler is a formidable guard dog, and when trained to protect it can be dangerous to intruders-both people and animals. The independent and strong-willed nature of this breed requires strong leadership on the part of the owner and firm training starting at an early age. Although this breed is loyal to family, it should always be supervised when around small children.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to bloat, parvo virus and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-11 years.

Trivia: The Rottweiler was mobilized during the First World War to serve as an auxiliary to the German army.

More Information: American Rottweiler Club

What breeds make up a Rottweiler and for what purpose are their tails docked?

Wendy from Bundaberg, Australia

Answers

there isn't any answers here

Editor's Note: Here's a link with Rottweiler Breed Info:
http://www.thri  3662194.tip.html

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Axlee is a 4 month old Rottweiler. I got him from a breeder when he was 7 weeks. He likes to make the spring door stop, go up and down with his paw and then bark like crazy. He also loves playing with his Rottweiler slippers which he has had from day one at home.

Although there are a lot of none dog owners who think that Rotties are dangerous dogs, this is so untrue. They are the gentlest dogs you could ever meet.

By Pauline

Sleeping.

Comment Like this photo? 15

Lucifer Kane is 3 years old and a Rottweiler. I bought him from Petland. For fun, he likes to chew bones, smell the flowers, snuggle, and go for rides in the car! He's my best friend and a wonderful big brother to our puppy, Jack Daniels!

By Brandy from McHenry, IL

rottweiler

Comment Like this photo? 7

Pepper is about 4 years old and a Rottweiler She was a stray. We found her on the street about 3 years ago. She loves to bark at the mail man, run around the yard and meet other dogs.

By Becca

Closeup of Pepper's face.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Your Pet's Age
7

Your Pet's Breed
Rottweiler

How and when did you get your pet?
A military guy was deploying and couldn't take Girl with him. He came over for our dogs to play together and told me he wasn't able to keep her. He asked if I knew anyone that would want her. I told him our family would love to have her! That was 7 years ago and she is our baby. =)

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She likes to fetch sticks, chew on her rope toy, and play ball.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She is the sweetest dog ever. She loves to give kisses, she is very protective over our 4 children and she will nudge my arm any time our baby starts crying trying to get my attention! Lol.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Snoop is an 11 year old Rottweiler. My ex-husband bought him for my son without asking me first. Once I saw him I could not turn him away, he was only months old, and so cute!

He loves to go for walks carrying a ball, play tug, and be nosy about anything that is going on. He has literally saved my life three times, and is considered my third (very hairy) child. Although named for the rapper, "Snoop Doggie Dog", he has lived up to his name by being very "snoopy" in all that anyone does, even read with me, (although we're both getting older, but I'm not saying who really needs the magnifying glass!)

By Marie from WI

Snoop and ower sitting on the floor with a book.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

This is Poochie, who arrived with his name. He's sometimes known as "Pucci Paw VaRotti" (because he can out-sing any wolf or coyote with his tenor voice). I usually just call him "Poo".

Rottie and kitten.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

My longtime faithful companion and guard dog of 16 years passed away at Thanksgiving. A friend who knew how much I missed Doc arrived shortly thereafter with arms full of a wiggling grinning pup.

Puppy playing in the snow.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Ruby is a 6 year old Rottweiler. Ruby's owner died a few weeks ago. We are fostering her until her new owners come to get her. Which will be this weekend!

Dog in costume.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I got him last year because my brother couldn't take care of him. He loves the outdoors and playing with his toys.

Rebel (Rottweiler)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Brookie was my husband's dog when we got married (he loves to tell the story of how he picked her out of the box, she was the chubbiest and hyper-est!).

Brookie in sunglasses

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

His name is Max he is 1 1/2 years old and he loves to take apart soft toys, he doesn't like playing with hard toys but the soft toys last only 5 min. He also loves being outside and playing with other dogs.

Dog lying outside.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes