Rubbing Alcohol as Eyeglass Cleaner

I keep rubbing alcohol in a small 2 oz. spray bottle. I use it to clean my glasses. You could also use your own homemade glass cleaner, but I find it easier to just fill it with the rubbing alcohol. Don't forget to label the bottle "Eyeglass Cleaner" or "Rubbing Alcohol".

Great idea! I'm definitely going to try this before I go and spend 12 bucks on a little box of glasses wipes

Great idea, never would have thought to do this!

Did using rubbing alcohol damage the coatings on the lenses?
My doc said not to use alcohol because it would. Thank you!

I use 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar to clean mine and the coatings seem fine.

The place where I buy my eyeglasses said to mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and water (I use distilled). Safe for antiglare lenses. Works just like the stuff I used to buy at the store.

Anonymous

I've been an optician for over 15 years. I can tell you that with the coatings applied to lenses, using straight rubbing alcohol ALL of the time to clean your glasses is not a good idea. Over time, it will start peeling your scratch coating and anti reflective coating if you have it on your lenses. Also - NEVER use Windex or anything like that. In a pinch, run glasses under water so dust or anything that could scratch your lenses.

Then rub with lotion free dishwashing soap and rinse. Use soft cotton cloth to dry. NEVER wipe your lenses unless they are wet (just dust particles can scratch lenses). Also, always use a cloth that you've purchased (100% cotton) when you wipe wet lenses. The only time you would use straight rubbing alcohol on your eyeglasses is if they had a greasy residue that you could not get off. Hope this helps.