FilipinoInternational

Sans Rival

I've been trying to learn how to make the famous Filipino dessert called Sans Rival. I searched and I came up with this delicious recipe. I realized I should have made some more meringue to add more layers or make it a little bit thicker. Somehow, the result is still the same sans rival but a very thin version of it.

I tried with just one egg to avoid wasting the ingredients in case it comes out as failure. The result is good actually.

*The sugar syrup is a mixture of 3 tablespoon sugar and 50 ml water heated up to its boiling point. Remove from heat when bubbles form.

1. Beat egg white until soft peaks form.
  2. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon crushed nuts.
  3. Gradually add 2-3 tablespoon of sugar syrup. Continue beating until stiff.
  4. Place meringue in a cookie sheet lined with baking paper. Make 2 flat circles and bake in 180C (approximately 350 F) for 10-15 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk until volume doubles.
  6. Gradually add remaining sugar syrup while whisking and a teaspoon of crushed nuts.
  7. Add in soft butter. Whisk until mixture is creamy.
  8. Cut biscuit of your desired shape. Be careful in cutting and removing it from the sheet as it easily breaks.
  9. Fill one biscuit with egg yolk mixture on top.
  10. Put the other biscuit on top.
  11. Cover layer with remaining yolk mixture all over and sprinkle with crushed nuts.
  12. Chill and serve!

I have never had anything like this, so I MUST try it! Thanks for sharing!