Saving Money on Baking Supplies

If you like to bake from scratch you will need a well stocked pantry. All of the necessary ingredients needed for baking can become quite costly. This is a page about saving money on baking supplies.

Tips for saving money on baking supplies from the ThriftyFun community.

Buy On Sale And Freeze

I use the red and green M & M's to decorate a lot of my holiday cookies, so I buy them after Christmas and throw them into the freezer for next year. I also do that with the marked down pecan halves after Thanksgiving for the following year's pecan pies. Also stock up on flour, butter, margarine, etc. when on sale and put in freezer.

By Betty

Big Savings At Food Co-ops

Check to see if there is a food co-op in your area sometimes (not always) co-ops have 50-70% savings especially if you can volunteer a couple of hours a week.

By Paula

Check At The Craft Store For Baking Equipment

For baking equipment, try your local craft store. I use the 40-50 percent coupons that come in my mail or newspaper almost every week to buy pans, cookie sheets, etc., and they also sell cookbooks.

By JM

Store Bulk Supplies In 5 Gallon Buckets

The way we manage to save on baking supplies started about 25 years ago. We collected all the 5 gallon pickle buckets we could find. At that time, restaurants were giving them away. Wash them thoroughly and fill with water and let them stand overnight. When you dump out the water, the bucket should smell clean. Since I do my Christmas shopping early in the year, it's easy to put away a few dollars now and then for that special period between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

That's when the sugar, flour, chocolate chips, coconut, yeast, etcetera, go on sale for unbelievably low prices. Store these supplies in the (very dry) buckets and they will last a year. I spend about $50 and am set for the two of us plus friends for the year. Of course, for about one month before Halloween there are case lot sales and the prices can be very reasonable.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

I pay a small fortune for my allergen free chocolate chips. I also snack on them. One day when I needed to bake, I realized I only had about 1/4 of a bag left. I took a leap and used that in the cookies. They were fantastic and no one noticed the "scant" amount of chips. Soon I was taking my newly-purchased bags and dividing them up into 1/3 cup portions, putting them into plastic sandwich-sized bags and then storing them in my chocolate drawer. Yes, chocoholic that I am, I actually have a chocolate drawer.

I get 4 (or more) portions per bag, as each bag has about 1 1/3 cups of chips in them, whether my allergen free ones OR the usual dairy-loaded ones we all grew up on. My only fear about sharing this frugal tip has been that once the manufacturers get wind of this they will begin selling them in 1/3 cup bags for the same outrageous price I have to pay now, about $5.59 per bag! So now I have enough chips for anything I must bake and I can more easily swallow (pun intended) and justify the stiff price I pay for a bag.

Give it a try. Make a batch of your usual, using only 1/3 cup of your chips (on the QT) and see if anyone complains or compliments. But, please, keep this tip hush-hush!

Source: My kitchen

Now is the time to buy baking products for the year. Stock up on cake and brownie mixes, nuts (esp. pecans, I buy several bags and put in the freezer) and chocolate chips (we eat chocolate chips right from the bag as a snack when you just need a little chocolate, or on ice cream).

Baking can get very expensive, especially if you are using unusual ingredients. You can often find many products in the markdown section of your local grocery store.

Check after holidays for steep discounts on seasonal items.

finished cookies

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenAugust 23, 2011
📓
🌻
😷
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Baking-Supplies-1.html