Saving Money on Dryer Sheets

Category Laundry
If you use dryer sheets there are some things you can do to save money on this laundry product. This is a page about saving money on dryer sheets.

Tips for saving money on dryer sheets and fabric softener from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own techniques here.

Homemade Dryer Sheets From Washclothes

Dip a washcloth in liquid fabric softener, then hang it on a towel rack until dry. When you dry clothes, pop this washcloth in with the load. It can be reused a couple dozen times, then repeat the procedure. A bottle of liquid softener will last almost forever!

Just to add to my post shown here from June 2004, I am still using from the same bottle of fabric softener that I was using at that time. It is a 200 ounce bottle of Snuggle that I bought at Sam's in Sept of 2003. I dilute it with equal parts of water, and do about 30 loads before I have to resoak my cloth.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Soak a clean rag in ultra fabric softener and let dry. Put the dry rag in your dryer and leave it there. This will soften your clothes like a dryer sheet, but will last a long time. I have just started using it and have done 30 loads and the same rag is still working. I have another rag ready and waiting for when this first one runs out.

By Lady Sharon

I also soak a few old washclothes in fabric softener, hang to dry and put them in a linen bag so that I can easily keep up with it in each load of laundry. Every couple of weeks, I resoak and hang to dry and start all over. I started doing this in January 05, and needless to say, I am still using the same bottle of softener. I hate I didn't know this years ago!

By Suzi Homemaker

Spray Bottle

I have heard of filling a spray bottle with fabric softener and diluting it a little. Then they just spray a few squirts into the dryer while drying.

By JC

Line Dry Instead

I have never found a reason for fabric conditioner or dryer sheets unless you have a lot of synthetic clothing which collects static electricity. If you are able, save even more money by giving the fabric softener/dryer sheets a miss and line drying for a fresh clean smelling wash!

By Jo

Cut In Half

Regarding laundry, don't use the entire dryer sheet! I have a large family, use the cheapest dryer sheets I can find, and always tear mine in half.

By Christy

When I buy a new box of dryer sheets, I use my scissors and cut the sheets in half. Each load gets soft with half a sheet and now my box of 80 uses lasts through 160 uses!

By Bayyore

Foil For Static

If your main reason for using fabric softener sheets is to control static, I've not found anything better than a wad of aluminum foil. If you need softening power too, just use 1/2 fabric softener sheet plus the aluminum foil.

By Terry

Use Herbal Alternatives

I don't use dryer sheets at all. With family members with environmental illnesses and severe allergies, the least amount of chemicals used in the house are the best. I use vinegar in the final wash and dryer fragrances in the dryer. (bags of lavender, which I sell in my online store) Regular dryer sheets leave a chemical residue in your dryer that you don't need. The herbal fragrances are refreshing and not toxic.

By Lois Ann

Cleaning with Used Dryer Sheets

I have to say that I ALWAYS got with the "cut 'em in half" method, it works just great. Then, once they have been through my dryer, I save them and clean the bathtub with them. I know, sounds crazy, but I swear, nothing works better for removing soap scum!

By Tori

Dryer Sheet Strips

Dryer sheets are so expensive. Instead of tossing in an entire dryer sheet, tear one sheet into 6 to 8 strips and toss in only one at a time!

By Stacy

Name Brands Work Better In Smaller Pieces

I have to amend one of the tips I sent in. I sent in a tip about tearing or cutting your dryer sheets in half. That works well if you use one of the name brand, better brands of dryer sheets, but I tried it with a store brand and it did not work well at all. So I only recommend doing that if you use one of the more expensive, name brand dryer sheets.

By Robin

Use Sponges In Fabric Softener

I get a large jar, cut up a sponge and put the pieces in it. Then take a couple of capfuls of Downy, or whatever kind you want, and fill the rest with water.

When you need a dryer sheet, reach for the sponge. You just wring it out, throw it in, then when the laundry is done, put it back in the jar! This works wonderfully and save a lot of money and garbage from the dryer sheets.

By Gypsy357

Use The Sheet Four Times

I was taught that a fabric softener sheet can be used four times. Each time you use one, cut off a corner. When you get to fourth one, throw it away.

By Linda

Other Uses For Dryer Sheets

Used sheets can be used to clean TV screens, PC screens, bathroom mirrors and dusting. New sheets can be put in pillow cases, linen closets, drawers with clothes, under chair cushions, luggage that's stored. They go all over the house.

By Elayne

Harmful Chemicals In Dryer Sheets

Sixwise.com had an article in Feb (I think) about the harmful chemicals used to make dryer sheets. They suggest using vinegar and/or baking soda in the washing machine instead of dryer sheets. Articles from their e-mails can be found on the Sixwise website.

I bought some environmentally friendly liquid fabric softener today at Wild Oats and plan to try soaking a cloth in the liquid, allowing to dry, then using this as my fabric sheet. Hopefully this product has is made with chemicals that are less toxic/harmful. BTW the bottle was only $3.69 and if the technique to make your own fabric sheet with liquid fabric softener works, this should be very cost effective and healthier than Snuggle or Bounce.

By Sandy

Use Dryer Balls Instead

I used to be married to an appliance repairman! The dryer sheets are bad for the dryers, gunking it up, I think was the prognosis. My Ex worked for Sears and this was what he learned. Find another alternative like the blue dryer balls they sell at Walmart. They cost $10, they help with static electricity, You don't have the smell from the softener is the only drawback. I haven't used softener in years and haven't needed it.

Related:

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMay 2, 2014
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Dryer-Sheets-1.html