Saving Money on Flowers

A woman arranging yellow flowers in a vase.
Having fresh flowers in your home doesn't have to cost a lot. This guide is about saving money on flowers.

Remember that flowers can be recycled, too! After an event, many a flower arrangement will end up in the trash! So rescue it, re-cut the flower stems and re-arrange the flowers at home. Why toss them when they still have life in them? With pruning and re-arranging the flowers can often last a week! And having fresh flowers is such a luxury, isn't it?

By pamphyila from LA, CA

One of the best tips I can give a young homemaker is to always save money for flowers. If you don't have a garden and live in an apartment, they can get pretty dreary.

When you buy your groceries at the store, most of the chain stores anyway, will have a flower department. I always buy a handful of fresh flowers. They usually put them in small bunches for around three dollars. It is money well spent.

You will enjoy them all week. Next week you can replace them. That way you will always have pretty flowers. We need food for the soul, too.

By eveh from Gulf Coast

The dollar stores have become very handy for me. When I go, I get several plastic (or glass if they have it) vases to keep at home. When I want to take flowers to someone, I purchase them for a reasonable price from either a market or a bulk produce place. I then clean them up, cut down the stems, and put them in one of the vases I purchased. I usually put a bit of water in the vase but not enough to spill when moving.

This way, when I give the flowers to the recipient all they need to do is fill with more water and place wherever they choose. This way, they do not need to hunt for something to put the flowers in.

I use platters or bowels from the dollar store the same way. This way, I do not have to worry about retrieving the item I brought my food in.

I worked at a florist for a year and learned that the 1-800 florists call local establishments to put through the orders they've received. The local florists are the middle man, only adding to the expense, or worse cutting back on the amount of flowers you get in an order.

I always search the internet for a florist in the town the flowers will be delivered to. You have to use a credit card anyway and you will get more for your money. I call the recipient and ask for an honest evaluation of the gift so I can decide whether I will use that business again, or not.

By Fran from Hamden, CT

Cut flowers are a great decoration for anytime of year. This is a guide about cut flowers on a budget.

Colorful cut flowers in a vase.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about saving money on floral arrangements. When you need flowers for a person or an event, there are ways to save like finding a local florist, or by growing and arranging your own floral supplies.

Floral Arrangements on Wood Tables

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You can save a lot on flowers by using your head. Flowers of the SEASON are going to be your best buy. Even better, if you have any kind of flower or farmer's market around. Get as close to the grower as you can, and avoid florist's surcharges. And don't forget that BEDDING plants with blooms can be charming in containers as table decorations, and have the advantage of being able to be PLANTED elsewhere after the wedding is OVER. (Ditto larger blooming plants, like big containers of lilies.)

By pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

Tips for saving money on flowers. Post your ideas below.

Answers:

An Abundance of Flowers

When Spring is approaching and I don't have much money to buy flowers to set out, I usually buy 2 or 3 small packs and take some clippings and root my own. Then you can have an abundance of flowers blooming all summer. Also I make my own hanging baskets.

By Cynthia (04/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Flowers

I start my own flowers from seed. I select easy to sprout, hardy plants for my area. I live in Michigan so the summer temperatures start out in the 70s, but soon gets to 80F and higher. Here are my choices and why I use them.

4 o'clock: easy to grow, large seeds, can sow outside when all snow is gone. Bring taproot indoors to grow next spring, just make sure it doesn't freeze in the winter. Put root outside when all snow is gone and ground is thawed. It will grow when the weather is right.

Sunflower: all types. Easy to grow. Really shoots up when weather hits 80F. Sturdy stems grow tall, some grow 7-8 feet high.

Spiderwort: this plant is native to Michigan but some varieties have been domesticated so it is used to hot summers and cold winters. Pretty blue flowers in clusters. Looks just like grass with slightly thicker leaves, so don't mow it over. It will survive being mowed down, mine did.

Daylily: never did these from seed so best to buy your's as plants or trade with a neighbor. After 2 years (sometimes 1 year) they become established and grow fast during the hot weather. Divide every 2 years or they will spread. They continuously reproduce so you will have new plants every other year. Many flower colors to choose from. Or get a wild one from a roadside ditch.

Iris. Many colors to choose from. Try to barter with a neighbor. Very hardy, but make sure soil is well drained. Beware of borer grubs which sometimes attack the roots.

But I like perennials because you plant them once and they come back every year. Make sure the perennial you buy will survive your winter (or your summer).

(12/28/2005)

By bulrush

Saving Money on Flowers

You can save money on flowers by using silk flowers in arrangements with real greenery. The greenery will give the flowers an aura of authenticity. (06/09/2006)

By SusannL