Saving Money on Pudding

Pudding is a yummy snack for both kids and adults. Whether you buy it at the store or make your own, there are ways to save money on it. This is a guide about saving money on pudding.

I mix instant chocolate pudding mix with a mixture of milk and leftover coffee for a mocha flavor, and mix lemon pudding with a mixture of milk and water for a more lemony flavor. Both save calories and fat, are thrifty and improve the taste of pudding.

Claire from Lafayette, CO

Does anyone have a recipe for frozen pudding pops?

Debra from Hampton, Tenn

Answers

Here are two ideas.

Frozen pudding Sandwiches

1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 4serving size instant pudding
1 envelope Dream whip

Pour milk into bowl. Add pudding and dream whip, beat slowly till blended. Increase speed and beat til soft peaks formed. (At this point you could use this as a frosting for a layer cake, too.) Spread abbout 1/2 inch thick onto 24 square graham crackers. Top with another 24, pressing lightly and smoothing around the edges with a spatula. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours. (I think you could freeze these into pop moulds or small paper cups with a popsicle stick into each. )

Frozen Fudge Pops

1 Pkg, 4 serving size, Jell-o pudding and pie filling
1/4 cup of sugar
3 cups of milk.

combine ingredients in saucepan. cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes, stiffing twice. Pour into a shallow pan. Freeze unti ice crystals from around the edge, about 30 minutes. Beat until smooth, but not completely melted. Spoon into pop moulds. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Makes 7 pops.

These are both from The Pudding Idea Book.

Sounds good! I am going to try the one using instant pudding.

Is Dream whip still available? I have a number of recipes that call for it and can't find it in South California. I have been substituting Cool Whip (or store brand whipped topping and adjusting milk in recipes.

I just mix up instant pudding with milk and pour it into popsicle molds, then freeze. You can use any flavor of pudding: chocolate, vanilla, white chocolate, banana, pistachio, coconut creme, butterscotch, etc, for variety.

Saving Money On Pudding
Saving Money On Pudding

Tips for Saving Money on Pudding as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas below.

Make Your Own

I buy store brand pudding mix and make it myself for my kids lunch. I save over half the price, also I don't have all the cups from the pudding that's ready made pudding.

By Skycase

Dollar Store Pudding

Just this week, I was at the dollar store and found boxes of pudding mix for $0.50 each. I bought a bunch and made a box at home. It will fill small zip lock containers which are perfect for lunches. I also find they taste much better than the ready made variety.

By Karyn01

Easy Homemade Pudding

I like to use a simple cornstarch recipe, with milk and flavor, cheap as possible. It came in handy in the days when I was milking goats. I froze it into Popsicles.

By kimhis

Recipe For Chocolate Pudding

I mix, in equal amounts, white flour, cocoa, and brown sugar. I add milk until it looks the right color, a bit darker than hot chocolate, stir over a low flame until it boils, then add a dot of butter. Very nice warm or cold. I use 2% milk when I make this.

By Cantate

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Answers:

Saving Money on Pudding

I use powered milk when I make my pudding mix for lunches. I usually use the Aldi's pudding. It comes out to about 7 cents per serving. (05/18/2008)

By mom-from-missouri