Saving Money on Quilt Batting

Category Reusing
New batting for your quilting project can be expensive. This guide is about saving money on quilt batting.

Old cotton and wool blankets, cotton towels and other pieces of cotton and wool make great batting for quilt projects. Cut the fabrics to fit you project, then make the quilt sandwich. Quilt it as you normally would. To finish it faster you can tie the quilt.

I sewed 9 bandanas together for a quilt top, 9 more for the backing, then put an old army blanket between as the batting. I tied the quilt to secure the layers. It is pretty and very warm for cold winters in Chicago. There are many ways to use worn linens to give new life to your projects.

By Cynthia from Chicago, IL

I don't quilt, but I do enjoy sewing small "cozy" projects that are quilt-like. When I need batting for these small projects, I buy fleece remnants from the remnant rack at the fabric store. Fleece has just enough "puffiness" to give the quilt look. There are always "puffy" samples in the remnant section. :)

By judijo19 from Santa Clarita, CA

Here some ways to make your own quilt batting out of recycled These tips are from our ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas below.

Flannel Instead Of Batting

I never use batting. Every time I do and then wash the quilt it just falls away from the quilting and bunches up in balls all over the quilt. I use layers of flannel.

By Allison

No Batting Quilts

I've made several "summer" quilts after seeing an antique one in a quilt shop. No batting at all, just the top and backing. Works best with a foundation pieced (on fabric) top and is just right for cooler summer nights on the porch swing.

By duckmom

Gut Sleeping Bags And Comforters

I have successfully used the guts of an old sleeping bag and an old comforter for batting. The stitching is easily removed and you can cut off the zippers (on sleeping bags) for possible reuse. Often comforter made for children are of cheap, nasty fabric that pills and fades instantly but the batting is polyester and fine. Kids probably have such items at home that they could bring in for a school project.

By teaysvalleygirl

Old Comforters

I have made several quilts by covering up stained or dated comforters that are still in good condition. I just made the quilt like a big pillowcase, sewed up the end and tacked it down in several places.

Deanna

Blankets And Other Fabric

I have known quilters that have re-used the following for batting. I don't know how well they worked but I can't imagine them not working.

The good thing about using 'old' stuff is that it has probably been washed many times. It shouldn't shrink any more and your hand quilting (if you do that) should not pucker. As long as the outer has been pre-shrunk also.

By Rosalie

Cotton Blankets

Old cotton blankets are good batting for quilts. Mom used them in nearly all quilts she made, they laundered easily.

By Betty

Old Mattress Pads

Old mattress pads work well as quilt batting.

By Jewels955

Answers

thats great! I have reused quilts for new quilts...they worked out great and it didn't bunch up. :)

MY 1ST MOTHER IN LAW AND HER MAMA WAS THE ONES THAT TAUGHT ME TO QUILT, GOD REST THEIR SOULS. AND THEY ALWAYS USED OLD BLANKETS. AND THOSE QUILTS WERE SO WARM AND COZY!! I AM A MEMBER OF OUR FREECYCLE GROUP HERE AND WHEN SOMEONE GIVES AWAY BLANKETS, OR I SEE SOME FOR A REASONABLE PRICE AT A GARAGE SALE, I LATCH ON TO IT, COS YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE WILL NEED A BLANKET OR TWO, OR THAT I WANT TO HAVE THEM FOR USE IN QUILTS!!

Anonymous

I was at the store today getting things together to make my daughter a comforter and pillow cases for her birthday coming up and I actually picked up a mattress pad and thought you know what this would make great batting instead of spending all that money on the real stuff so that isn't awesome idea and great minds think alike

Is it realistic to revive batting once it starts to separate? I've taken apart old worn quilts and have loads of used batting. I'd really love some ideas on how to reuse, revive, re-fluff, smooth it out, etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

By debgram

Answers

If you ever make stuffed animals, pillows or even the draft stoppers (stop air from coming/going under door or window) they need to be stuffed, so i'd use the old batting. I would even use it when I make the covered photo albums.
When you take it out of the quilts I would try to pull it apart to try to fluff it up and make it less lumpy, sort of like when you try to get a knot out of long hair.