Saving Money on Sleepwear

Category Tips
The important thing about what you wear to bed at night is how comfortable it is. This is a guide about saving money on sleepwear.

When my four kids were little (2-6 years old), they loved to sleep in Dad's t-shirt. I went to a yard sale and found 10 T-shirts with some business logo on them for 10 cents each. I kept them rolled up under the sink in the bathroom. Since they were all the same color, they didn't have anything to fight over and daddy didn't run out of shirts all the time.

By motiva8 from Canton, NC

My husband has several "banded collar" shirts that he no longer wears. They are still in good shape and I loved the style. However, they are way too big for me to wear w/jeans or anything else. I decided to take the white one and cut the sleeves off to about my wrist and then turn the edges under and make a cute sleep shirt for myself.

When I finished I just washed it and put some fabric softner on it and now I have a cute and comfy sleep shirt to wear. I think I will check his other old shirts like his flannel ones and do the same with the sleeves and possibly cut off the collars on those as well, they will make really good ones for me! Plus, I will save the scaps from the shirts to use for other projects!

Medical scrubs make very comfortable cheap pajamas. They are available in a variety of colors and styles (including large sizes if required). I got mine from RMF Scrubs.

By Verity from Norfolk, UK

If you have kids and you know their winter pajamas won't fit them next season, cut them down for the spring/summer. Cut the pants into shorts and the shirt into short sleeves or even tanks. Just make sure that you cut the shorts just a tad longer than you actually want, as the pants tend to 'spring up' and you'll be left with a "cheeky" situation!

The excess material can be used for scrapbooking or my favorite, dust rags, or if you're a sewer, the sky's the limit!

By Mom81402 from Bayville, NJ

With the cost of clothes, I feel it is best to scrimp first on the clothes no one sees you in. This excludes your spouse, of course, who will only care that you're soft and warm!

I buy men's heavyweight crew neck undershirts in size L - "large/tall". They cover my rear, but are small enough around my neck that my collarbones are covered. Then I buy pink dye for a buck and color them in my washer. I have a feminine cozy look that's still comfortable and cheap!

When your night gown wears out at the top, but the bottom is still OK, cut the top off, and replace it with a T-shirt. Cut the hem off the T-shirt. Put a long zipper in front to keep from pulling it over your head. I use an 18 inch zipper. It wears very good, and is very soft.

By kffrmw88 from Dothan, AL

Does anyone know of a site or a store that sells plain cotton nightgowns (not knit) for a reasonable price? Maybe not quite the "prairie" type but just simple gowns for summer. I am having a hard time finding ones that don't seem quite expensive to me.

tamisuemcp2000 from Missouri

Answers

I use to buy them at Wal-Mart every year. Don't
know if they still carry them. Also, Blair catalog

usually has them. And maybe JC Penney. Joyce

I thought I'd seen some at Wal-Mart....sleeveless slip over the head kind....maybe a few buttons at the bodice.....perhaps a print. I wouldn't think they'd be more than $8-$10 which seems reasonable to me and they would last a long time.

Walmart, Kmart, and Target have them. Plus if you try going to a thrift shop or consignment shop you may find one thats "broke in" and nice and soft.

Check on the www.hillbillyhousewife.com site....she has listed some places to buy simple clothing....alot of things like the nightgowns....

I have found that Thrift stores are the best for nightgowns and are very cheap and at those prices you can afford to buy many.