Savory Beef Stew
Stew is an easy to prepare dish that is sure to please, especially on a chilly evening. This is a guide about savory beef stew.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Perfect for cooking on the stove, in a crock pot or in a dutch oven over a fire. We love to serve it with hot buttery biscuits or corn bread.
Prep Time: 30-45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour to all day
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: fit to your family
- 1 lb or more of stew beef or steaks cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef gravy
- 1 or more packets of dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups each veggies of your choice, celery, onion, potatoes, corn, green beans, carrots
- Brown your meat, in a small amount of water. You can use store bought beef stew meat but I often find it is cheaper to buy 1 or 2 steaks and cut them into small cubes. Stir it often.
- Stop here and wash your cutting board in soapy bleach water. You don't want the raw meat juices to stand on the board.
- Add in diced onion and let them slightly brown.
- Add in beef gravy, 1 or more packets of dry onion soup mix. In place of beef gravy, you can use bullion cubes. The beef gravy can be homemade, canned or the powdered envelopes.
- Next, dice in and add your veggies. It is hard to give an amount, but if you are making it for more than 2 people, I would use at least 2 cups of each veggie of your choice.
- At this point, you can cook until veggies are done and serve, or you can let simmer all day in the crock pot or on low on the stove. It also works well in a dutch oven over a fire.
*Sometimes I take part of this and set it aside for a future meal of baked potatoes. This makes a great potato topping.