Separate Spatulas When Washing

If you have spatulas with removable tips, It's best to separate them from the handles before washing. When washing the spatulas, water can get in the handle slot and remain there for a long time. This makes a good breeding ground for germs.

I keep a very small squirt bottle by the sink. It is filled with household bleach. After I wash the handle and tip, I put a drop or two of bleach in the handle slot, wait a minute and rinse. Then I allow the pieces to air dry separately. I put the two/three pieces together before storing.

If you haven't separated your spatulas before, you may find some gunk in there.

Top Comment

And to think - I thought I was sometimes overly clean! Thanks for this as I am always looking for those "unusual" places where smart germs hide.

Anonymous

Excellent tip.

I didn't know they could separate till mine fell off during cleaning. It was so bad I didn't even keep it. I will do this from now on.