Sewing Machine Sews Incorrectly, Then Stops?

An example of the sewing machine's malfunction.I've been using a Singer Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine and it suddenly stopped sewing properly. It skips several stitches on the top of the fabric and the thread on the bottom is messy and bunched up, then it stops and the needle won't move until I take the fabric out. It does this on both thick and thin fabrics. I'm not sure what the issue is or how to fix it.

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 320 Answers

Here are a few easy things to check first:
-- Is the machine threaded correctly?
-- Is the bobbin the proper size? (This is a big problem for me since I pick some up at thrift stores and garage sales; it's hard to tell with the naked eye. I finally just ordered all new ones per my machine's manual).
-- Make sure the needle is positioned fully and correctly to left, right, or center, and tight against the top and back housing.
-- Finally, and perhaps most likely, this could be an incorrect tension setting. Try to move the tension dial a bit both ways, stitch on some scrap fabric, and see if it makes a difference.

Something must have happened to mess up the thread while I was sewing because rethreading the machine worked! Thank you!

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

Several things could be wrong:
Your bobbin is inserted backwards
Your upper tension is off
Your lower tension is off

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesOctober 10, 2021
🎂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Sewing-Machine-Sews-Incorrectly-Then-Stops.html