Sewing Machine Won't Go Into Reverse

My Kenmore model 385 sewing machine won't go in reverse. What could be my problem? Serial # 51006274.
Thanks!

It's a broken gear inside your machine - this isn't a home fix. You need to take your machine to a qualified sewing machine repair tech.

I do repair-refurbs on my Sewing 101 student's machines, mainly Singers but some of the other brands as well. Please believe me - the problem with your machine isn't something you can take care of yourself at home, it requires access to parts, the tools (specialised) to do the work, and the hideously expensive service manual with all the information needed to perform the repair.

No necessarily a broken gear. I just fixed my Kenmore 385 that had quit sewing in reverse. The mechanism just froze up from lack of use. Take the bottom off the machine to expose the mechanism, push the reverse button several times while studying the workings.

If you do not use the machine much, it is likely just froze up. You have nothing to lose by checking it out.

Thank you I will try this.

I was having the same issue. Reverse would work sort of and then I saw this. Works fine now. Thanks for that information.