'Sharky' Goldfish Paper Lantern Decoration

My son's party theme was pretty unique so I couldn't just buy decorations for it. I decided to make my own. This paper lantern goldfish (complete with shark fin) was the perfect decoration to hang over the table!

Related Product:

1. Assemble the paper lantern, according to the instructions.
  2. Fold a piece of orange scrapbooking paper in half. Draw a tail along the fold, as shown below. Cut out the tail.
  3. Cut a 1/2 in slit in the end, to create two small tabs. Partially fold the tail, overlapping the tabs (see photo). Glue the tabs together, to give the tail a 3-dimensional shape.
  4. Ad

5. Fold a piece of orange scrapbooking paper in half, draw a fin, and cut it out to make two fins. Slightly curl the small end of each fin, so that they will stick out from the body of the goldfish, once they are attached.
  6. Fold a piece of orange scrapbooking paper in half, draw half of the mouth at the fold, as shown below. Cut out, then cut the center shape out of the mouth and set it aside. Now unfold the lips for the mouth (see photo).
  7. Ad

8. Use the center of the mouth that you cut out as a template. Place it onto a black piece of scrapbooking paper and trace around it, adding about 1/8 in. all the way around. Cut it out and tape it to the back of the lips.
  9. On a piece of cardstock, draw a shark fin. Then add a tab that will go around the internal wire of the lantern, as shown below. Be sure to test fit it.
  10. Ad

11. Fold a piece of black scrapbooking paper in half, trace the shark fin on the fold, and cut it out.
  12. Slide the fin into the lantern and around the center wire. You may need to poke the small wire hook through the paper (see photo) if necessary. Glue the two sides of the shark fin together.
  13. Ad

14. Glue the tail to the back of the goldfish.
  15. Glue the mouth in place.
  16. Ad

17. Attach the fins to the sides of the goldfish.
  18. Add the googley eyes.
  19. Optional number: Create a template for the number, then trace it onto the colors of scrapbooking paper of your choice. I did the front side on glittery blue paper and the back on orange paper. Place a length of fishing line in between the numbers, tape in place, then glue the numbers together. Tie the other end of the fishing line to the lower wire of the lantern.
  20. I hung up streamers in various shades of blue from a central location and fanned them out all over the room, then hung the "shark" goldfish lantern in the center. I love how it turned out!