ToolsRepair

Sharpening Pinking Shears

Does aluminum foil work on sharpening pinking shears too?

By Joan

You bet! I have the same pair of pinking shears I stole, ahem, permanently borrowed, from my mother when I left for college 30+ years ago. My mother had had them for 20 years before that. They have been used for fabric, paper, lightweight cardboard and even plastic. Whenever they begin to cut a bit hard, they get the aluminum foil treatment - long slow cuts through the foil that covers the length of the blades is the secret.

If I have some scrap foil (clean from roasting potatoes or the little strip that was left on the roll from the box) I often go around the house and give any scissors I can find a 'touch up' of a few cuts.

Years ago, I showed this tip to my daughter's kindergarten teacher and she refreshed all the scissors in the classroom. This took some time, believe me. My daughter will be graduating high school this spring so that tells you how long ago this was.